The Student Room Group

Further maths in one year

I've been working a full time job since achieving 3A* in the 2023 autumn exams last year in maths, chemistry and physics. Most the courses I want to apply for 2025 entry however seem to 'strongly encourage' further maths. Is it possible to take further maths A-level in one year. If it is, what is the best way, should I self study or try and find a tutor/college who will help?
Original post by Jacob24030
I've been working a full time job since achieving 3A* in the 2023 autumn exams last year in maths, chemistry and physics. Most the courses I want to apply for 2025 entry however seem to 'strongly encourage' further maths. Is it possible to take further maths A-level in one year. If it is, what is the best way, should I self study or try and find a tutor/college who will help?
I've been self studying over the course of 2 years and it's working so far. A lot of FM relies on the knowledge from normal maths and if you got an A* you can do further maths in one year as you have all the base knowledge. It's definitely possible if you're only focusing on 1 subject.
Original post by Jacob24030
Which uni(s) and course(s)??

Since you’ve already got an A* in a level maths, I would just buy a further maths textbook and work through it; a tutor would help though. Maybe a 1/2 hour session a week just in case you don’t understand anything.
Reply 3
Original post by lanky_giraffe
Which uni(s) and course(s)??

Since you’ve already got an A* in a level maths, I would just buy a further maths textbook and work through it; a tutor would help though. Maybe a 1/2 hour session a week just in case you don’t understand anything.

Computer science is the course. I don’t exactly have a “dream uni” but I want to apply to Cambridge and Imperial and give myself the best chance of getting in.

Quick Reply

Latest