The Student Room Group

Different countries' traditions discussion thread

I was chatting to Danni-bella recently and we discussed the differences and similarities between England and Australia, which I found very intresting. If you are from another country, besides those in the United Kingdom, perhaps on this thread you could tell people on TSR about the laws and religious traditions etc that are in your country and people who are from Britain could tell you about Britain. I feel that this would be a worthwhile contribution for many of our members.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:wink: well i am not religious so i can not really talk about religion..but i guess that if you are christian..then the traditions are pretty much the same in every part of the world.. no?
I think school is different here in Australia, or maybe it isn't. Highschool starts in year 7 in some states and in year 8 in others. High school goes to year 12. What about in Britain?
I like many British bands. If you would like to hear a good Aussie band, go to http://www.powderfinger.com
Reply 3
Innocentvictim
I was chatting to Danni-bella recently and we discussed the differences and similarities between England and Australia, which I found very intresting. If you are from another country, besides those in the United Kingdom, perhaps on this thread you could tell people on TSR about the laws and religious traditions etc that are in your country and people who are from Britain could tell you about Britain. I feel that this would be a worthwhile contribution for many of our members.

You could probably find two better countries to compare than the UK and Australia. A lot of Australians like to exaggerate the differences with the poms, only to reassure themselves that they have nothing to do with colonial history. Yeah right!
Reply 4
galadriel100
I think school is different here in Australia, or maybe it isn't. Highschool starts in year 7 in some states and in year 8 in others. High school goes to year 12. What about in Britain?
I like many British bands. If you would like to hear a good Aussie band, go to http://www.powderfinger.com

Yeah powderfinger are great. In a similar style, I prefer Art Of Fighting. They were recently signed to Bella Union here in the UK and I got to listen to their album Second Storey. It's amazingly good.
parsimony
:wink: well i am not religious so i can not really talk about religion..but i guess that if you are christian..then the traditions are pretty much the same in every part of the world.. no?

Well you don't have to talk about religion, as this is not a thread about religion. You could possibly talk about what the most popular foods are and what the most popular holiday destinations are in your country.
galadriel100

Highschool normally starts in year 10 here, but some schools like mine merge the secondary school and highschools together to form one school. When I was in year 7-9 I went to the same school as I do now but just on a different site. My school also has it's sixth form on the highschool site, which I currently attend. You leave school at 16, but you can stop on until you're 18 if you want to to get extra qualifications. What is the school starting age Down Under, it's 4-5 here, depending on your birthday.
SamTheMan
You could probably find two better countries to compare than the UK and Australia. A lot of Australians like to exaggerate the differences with the poms, only to reassure themselves that they have nothing to do with colonial history. Yeah right!

I only gave Australia as an example. Anyone from any part of the world can discuss their countries in here.
SamTheMan
Yeah powderfinger are great. In a similar style, I prefer Art Of Fighting. They were recently signed to Bella Union here in the UK and I got to listen to their album Second Storey. It's amazingly good.

Iv'e never heard of them.
Innocentvictim
Highschool normally starts in year 10 here, but some schools like mine merge the secondary school and highschools together to form one school. When I was in year 7-9 I went to the same school as I do now but just on a different site. My school also has it's sixth form on the highschool site, which I currently attend. You leave school at 16, but you can stop on until you're 18 if you want to to get extra qualifications. What is the school starting age Down Under, it's 4-5 here, depending on your birthday.

School starting age here is 5 or 6. You can leave school at 16, but the government wants to make it higher so the unemployment figures look better.

I see you haven't heard of Powderfinger, you can listen to their songs on their site.
Reply 10
Innocentvictim

What are you talking about? :confused: The state school system is Infants school, Junior school, then Secondary school. Then if you want to do A-levels but your school doesn't have a 6th form, then you go to a 6th form/further education college. Otherwise, you do A-levels at your secondary school.
Reply 11
schooling isnt a good place to start...

even within the UK, the different regions have different education systems, naming conventions for years, forms, classes, have different exam types, grammar schools in places etc etc
its chinese new year on wed and as a custom married couples give out these "red pockets" known as "lai see" which is a red envelope with money to unmarried people. bosses have to give them to their staff as well for good luck...meaning i'll be getting from my vet too this sat when we see him hehe
Reply 13
Innocentvictim
Well you don't have to talk about religion, as this is not a thread about religion. You could possibly talk about what the most popular foods are and what the most popular holiday destinations are in your country.

most popular food? McDonald's :biggrin:
and all the guys just love to drink beer, I even met some british guys who told the that slovak beer is the best :smile:
but now i am in japan..and these little creatures are just obsessed with beer..but they have a small disadvantage = they get drunk extremely easily :wink: one shot..or one small beer and they turn red and sing like mad :biggrin: :beer:
Reply 14
Bearing in mind what day it is tomorrow, how is Shrove Tuesday celebrated in different countries? I know it's Pancake Day here (can't wait for those pancakes! lol) but how about in other places? It's Mardi Gras isn't it?
Reply 15
kew96158
Bearing in mind what day it is tomorrow, how is Shrove Tuesday celebrated in different countries? I know it's Pancake Day here (can't wait for those pancakes! lol) but how about in other places? It's Mardi Gras isn't it?

Shrove Tuesday? never heard of it :smile: in my (religious) school they celebrate Ash-Wendsday ( the day after tomorrow) or however they call it :smile: i think you can not eat during this day but i dont know why :wink:
In Kazakhstan we like to watch the bear do dance!! :biggrin:

Sorry... :redface: Had a little Borat moment.
Innocentvictim
Iv'e never heard of them.

They're an indie band from Australia.
The album isn't out yet. It comes out in March through Bella Union. But as I'm famous, I got to hear it before the release. But it's out in Australia anyway.

Check out a few songs here:

http://www.artoffighting.com/songspage.htm

http://www.artoffighting.com/
technik
schooling isnt a good place to start...

even within the UK, the different regions have different education systems, naming conventions for years, forms, classes, have different exam types, grammar schools in places etc etc

That's because the UK is a seriously messed-up country.
Reply 19
parsimony
Shrove Tuesday? never heard of it :smile: in my (religious) school they celebrate Ash-Wendsday ( the day after tomorrow) or however they call it :smile: i think you can not eat during this day but i dont know why :wink:

You've never heard of it???? I seriously am surprised, particularly if you go to a religious school! Considering Ash Wednesday wouldn't exist without Shrove Tuesday...

Have you seriously never heard of Pancake Day then? (The name most commonly used).

The idea of fasting on Ash Wednesday is because it's the first day of Lent, by the way... I don't think many people actually do fast, though.

Latest

Trending

Trending