The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

poulanck
ooh music, debating, politics and art! Great (I'm going to do music but applied for phys and phil previously) I'm planning on giving "The Hive" a go. It's sort of a debating society who go to lectures, debates, art exhibitions, concerts etc and generally discuss...erm...stuff... The founder was involved in a debating competition/reviewing thing that I and scrabblequeen did although I didn't really speak to him but It looks like he's trying to bring the philosophy of the "Institute of Ideas" who ran the comp to Oxford.

Who is scrabblequeen? :P

iluvcheesecake - I recommend coxing over rowing, you get a free ride! :biggrin:
poulanck
ooh music, debating, politics and art! Great (I'm going to do music but applied for phys and phil previously) I'm planning on giving "The Hive" a go. It's sort of a debating society who go to lectures, debates, art exhibitions, concerts etc and generally discuss...erm...stuff... The founder was involved in a debating competition/reviewing thing that I and scrabblequeen did although I didn't really speak to him but It looks like he's trying to bring the philosophy of the "Institute of Ideas" who ran the comp to Oxford.

Yeah, I heard about that, sounds really exciting :biggrin: . Think I may check it out too.
Reply 42
Hey :hello:

Name: Rose
Subject: English
College: Somerville

Hopefully anyway! Offer - AAA
Reply 43
Sam
Classics
New
AAA

Will probably try some rowing, continue playing squash as i do, join the union etc. Though having said that, I'll probably have no time for any of that as i'll have to work my arse off just to stay afloat ;p
Reply 44
fairieboi
Will probably try some rowing...

You say that now. Give it a term and you'll become a fully fledged boatie like me MWHAHAHAHAHA
Reply 45
Hellsbells

Stop confusing people!! :wink:
Reply 46
Hellsbells

iluvcheesecake - I recommend coxing over rowing, you get a free ride! :biggrin:

Hellsbells = screename of Scrabblequeen L. McNab (really its the name on her birth certificate, honest)
Uhm. Hello. I have re-surrected this because I have a German oral tomorrow and am supremely bored (am not the biggest fan of revision, or any type of work). So...uh. I'm Megsy, yey :smile: What else to say...well, as I'm going to read E&M I should perhaps say that I'm a right-wing libertarian, who adores Maggie.

So anyway. Revision is actually really bad for you, because I have to eat when I revise otherwise I don't take anything in, and then like, you get all fat and I have my Leavers' Ball coming up in two weeks and if I keep on eating I'll get really reaaally fat and not fit into my gorgeous dress any more!

And like, that's bad. So basically, the way I see it, I've got a choice:
1. Look nice at my Leavers' Ball and fail exams.
2. Look horrible and bloated, but pass exams.

The former is such a better option! Pfft. Surely Merton will understand my necessity to look pretty over doing any work...

So. I have come up with the GreatestPlanEver to combat this problem! For the last two days, have strapped self into a corset in order to control the eating (okay, so it might be slightly bad for me, but like, I totally think the Victorians' had the whole thing on the right path). But like, I'm ever so slightly mad and I'm going to shut up now and go back to die sogenannte Ostalgie...

PS: Everyone else should write rambling crap too. :smile: Yey.
Reply 48
Emma
Somerville
Classics :biggrin:
AAA :frown:

I'm currently avoiding doing Latin revision for my exam tomorrow whilst trying to babysit :frown:
Reply 49
sogenannte Ostalgie? Wirst du denn ueber ,,Good Bye, Lenin!" reden? Das fand ich sehr hilfreich.

Don't screw up German. I did.

OK, an expansion:

Most people who get an Oxford offer don't genuinely believe there's a possibility of their getting less than 3 As when they're honest with themselves. Most people have a pretty comfortable surplus over from AS, and so, while they will make themselves work, they're not as terrified as they were with GCSEs and AS-levels, where they didn't know what to expect. As a consequence, they're more likely to go over various things they're comfortable with.
Hence, for example, if your German literature paper is hard, and you've not had that much teaching for it, you'll have a look at the essays you did on it (and didn't do that well in), think it's OK, and rely on your other papers to get you up.

Then you get 14/90 on it because you just couldn't do it, and miss your Oxford offer.

Seriously, don't do this.
Reply 50
Hey all!

Sophie
Experimental Psychology
St Catz
AAA
Reply 51
Even though I'm not technically a new student, I will start term in October 2005 and be a first year like the rest of you.. which is strange :biggrin: So yes, I'll play along :p:

Kate
English
Somerville
Unconditional offer! yay!
Reply 52
F. Poste
I will start term in October 2005 and be a first year like the rest of you.. which is strange :biggrin:

Why's that, then? I might apply there now. :p:

(Although Visesh wants me to visit Cambridge)
Reply 53
deianra
Uhm. Hello. I have re-surrected this because I have a German oral tomorrow and am supremely bored (am not the biggest fan of revision, or any type of work). So...uh. I'm Megsy, yey :smile: What else to say...well, as I'm going to read E&M I should perhaps say that I'm a right-wing libertarian, who adores Maggie.

So anyway. Revision is actually really bad for you, because I have to eat when I revise otherwise I don't take anything in, and then like, you get all fat and I have my Leavers' Ball coming up in two weeks and if I keep on eating I'll get really reaaally fat and not fit into my gorgeous dress any more!

And like, that's bad. So basically, the way I see it, I've got a choice:
1. Look nice at my Leavers' Ball and fail exams.
2. Look horrible and bloated, but pass exams.

The former is such a better option! Pfft. Surely Merton will understand my necessity to look pretty over doing any work...

So. I have come up with the GreatestPlanEver to combat this problem! For the last two days, have strapped self into a corset in order to control the eating (okay, so it might be slightly bad for me, but like, I totally think the Victorians' had the whole thing on the right path). But like, I'm ever so slightly mad and I'm going to shut up now and go back to die sogenannte Ostalgie...

PS: Everyone else should write rambling crap too. :smile: Yey.

I say look bad for Leaver's ball. think about all the balls and bops and whatever-the-hell-it-is-that-you-guys-call-thems.

Oh, and I suppose I could list information about myself since I'll be newly arriving as well:

Scott
PPE
LMH
Unconditional...

(as a little aside, isn't it wonderful that my professors are required to post results within 3 days of the exam? Waiting two months must be unbearable.)
zoraster
I say look bad for Leaver's ball. think about all the balls and bops and whatever-the-hell-it-is-that-you-guys-call-thems.
So utterly not the same, but I'm not going to rant :p: Like, all balls are important... :frown:

zoraster
(as a little aside, isn't it wonderful that my professors are required to post results within 3 days of the exam? Waiting two months must be unbearable.)
OhGodsDon'tMentionTHEWAIT. Argh. *stresses*

Also. PEOPLE. STOP. Don't just post your offer/college. What's the bloody point in that? Write! Something vaguely substantial...please! :smile:

Right. I'm off. German oral in 2 hours, und hoffentlich werde ich ueber die Zukunft der Europas sprechen, und nicht die Ostalgie (aber da stimme ich zu - ein sehr guter Film)
Reply 55
Well fingers crossed I'm in to do Biological Sciences at Jesus!! And i'm afraid you unlucky people will have to put up with my questionable musical ability morning noon and night :wink:
I'm trying to kill time before I go sit Advanced Higher French... it's the point right before you sit the exam where you go "maybe relying on my natural ability wasn't the best thing to do." Oh well.
I take it you english students haven't started your exams yet? Mine began on friday... so much fun. I don't think I'll get an A in english because I misinterpreted an advert with a cow in a field in it. How's that for hair-rippingly frustrating?
You may all be sitting thinking how lucky you are not to have started exams yet, but I finish on the 27th May and then have nothing to do until OCTOBER. 4 and a bit months holiday!
Anyway, if I somehow get AAA, then I'll be going to Exeter College to read French & German. Would really like to get the grades, but the teaching this year at my school has been awful and I haven't put in enough work so... c'est la vie.
Anyway, I have an exam to go sit/fail. Wish me luck!
Reply 57
deianra
Right. I'm off. German oral in 2 hours, und hoffentlich werde ich ueber die Zukunft der Europas sprechen, und nicht die Ostalgie (aber da stimme ich zu - ein sehr guter Film)

Hi an alle, die Deutschexamen schreiben (oder dafür lernen)! :hello:
Ich hoffe, euch vergeht wegen der ganzen Lernerei nicht die Lust an der Sprache. Viel Glück, hopefully you'll all do fine!
Reply 58
*Butts in*
Omg, I just did my Germal oral :eek:
Reply 59
Viel Glück an all die German students! ... obwohl ihr alle nach Oxford geht :biggrin: :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending