This discussion is closed.
devilschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
if anyone can give me a hand with these partial differentiation qus would really be appreciated:

1)if f(x,y) is a scalar function of position defined on the x-y plane. The position of a fixed point may also be specified by cartesian coordinates u,v defined by axes that are rotated by an angle theta frin the x and y axes. Show that:

[email protected] + [email protected] and v= [email protected] + [email protected]

deduce that:

((d^2)f)/(d(x^2)) + ((d^2)f)/(d(y^2) = ((d^2)f)/(d(u^2)) + ((d^2)f)/(d(v^2))

i.e the 2 dimensional (triangle)^2 operator is invariant under a rotation of the axes.

(if someone can please explain in english what this all means???)

2) the speed v of a 1D river depends upon time t and position x. a log drifts freely in the river so that its speed matches the local speed of the river. the log is at position x(t) at time t. find the log's acceleration at time t in each of the cases

i) v=t^2
ii)v= x^2
iii) v=xt

give a general expression for this acceleration in terms of v and its partial derivatives.

(this one makes slightly more sense but still slightly confused)

thankyou xx
Mehh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
First off this is definately not in the right forum. Partials aren't covered in ALevel. It also seems like you are from an institution of higher education that I am not particularly fond of.
However the first question looks relatively easy. Just find the values of each of the terms using the partial chain rule in the form df/du = df/dx dx/du + df/dy dy/du (where all d's are curly d's for partial).
Syncman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mehh)
First off this is definately not in the right forum. Partials aren't covered in ALevel. It also seems like you are from an institution of higher education that I am not particularly fond of.
However the first question looks relatively easy. Just find the values of each of the terms using the partial chain rule in the form df/du = df/dx dx/du + df/dy dy/du (where all d's are curly d's for partial).
LoL... first off this is deff the right forum... Looks like a mechanics question to me. And this is a maths forum

Is partial differentiation the same as implicit differentiation?
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No partial differentiation treats all variables that are not being differentiated as constant. And by (triangle) do you mean nabla?
devilschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by AntiMagicMan)
No partial differentiation treats all variables that are not being differentiated as constant. And by (triangle) do you mean nabla?

could be nabla, is a triangle with the point downwards but don't know what its called
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by devilschild)
1)if f(x,y) is a scalar function of position defined on the x-y plane. The position of a fixed point may also be specified by cartesian coordinates u,v defined by axes that are rotated by an angle theta frin the x and y axes. Show that:

[email protected] + [email protected] and v= [email protected] + [email protected]

deduce that:

((d^2)f)/(d(x^2)) + ((d^2)f)/(d(y^2) = ((d^2)f)/(d(u^2)) + ((d^2)f)/(d(v^2))

i.e the 2 dimensional (triangle)^2 operator is invariant under a rotation of the axes.

(if someone can please explain in english what this all means???)
Firstly, to explain the last comment, the u and v co-ordinates are related to x and y by a rotation matrix. So we're looking to see if the Laplacian is invariant under a rotation.

Now (with d denoting partial differentiation) by the chain rule

df/dx = df/du du/dx + df/dv dv/dx

= df/du [email protected] - df/dv [email protected]

Differentiating again

d^2f/dx^2 =

[email protected] (d^2f/du^2 du/dx + d^2f/dudv dv/dx)
- [email protected] (d^2f/dudv du/dx + d^2f/dv^2 dv/dx)

= cos^[email protected] d^2f/du^2 - [email protected]@ d^2f/du/dv + sin^[email protected] d^2f/dv^2

Do the same argument for d^2f/dy^2 and add your equations.
Mehh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Syncman)
LoL... first off this is deff the right forum... Looks like a mechanics question to me. And this is a maths forum

Is partial differentiation the same as implicit differentiation?
My referance was towards the fact that partials are covered in degree level...this is not the degree level forums, I think you will find.
One would have expected you to have been able to have seen some kind of a difference when I used terms like curly d....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.04%
Not great so far... (221)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.06%

Watched Threads