The Student Room Group

Offer holder day as an American

Hi! I’m an American and l’m flying over for an offer holder day in April and I was wondering if it is common for international students to attend or if I will be the only one? Also are there any major culture shocks I should prepare for?
Hiya
Yeah, I think it’s pretty common for international students to come to the open days ! You definitely won’t be the only one. in terms of culture, so the weather will just be rubbish and it might be hard to understand peoples accents initially, but you’ll get used to it I can’t think of anything else. Good luck with everything and sending you well wishes
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer to your chosen University, you must be really excited!

We usually get some international students who attend to get a feel for the campus, environment and area they will be living in when they come to study with us - so I would assume you won't be the only international student. It'd be great for you to attend an offer holder day to get to know your academics and peers before you start your course to help you ease in to student life :smile:

I hope this makes you feel better,
T :smile:
Original post by Sofia_the_1
Hi! I’m an American and l’m flying over for an offer holder day in April and I was wondering if it is common for international students to attend or if I will be the only one? Also are there any major culture shocks I should prepare for?
Hey!

Firstly, that's awesome that you're making the trip over for the offer holder day in April! It's not uncommon at all for international students to attend, so you won't be the only one. These events are usually quite diverse, bringing together students from all over the place.

As for potential culture shocks, it's always good to be prepared, but don't worry too much. The United Kingdom has its own unique charm, and while there might be subtle differences, you'll likely find it easy to adapt. People are generally friendly and welcoming.

One thing to note is the weather it can be a bit unpredictable, so packing layers might be a good idea.

If you have any more questions or need tips as you plan your visit, feel free to reach out. Safe travels, and I hope you have a fantastic time at the offer holder day!

Cheers,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative

Quick Reply