Higher no. of a levels subject taken = higher chances in getting top uni?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Zaq
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
any comments?

of coz the subject chosen must b some wat relevent to each other...like physics with maths, f maths, but not with bio.....
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
To be honest, I don't think it makes much difference. Even Oxbridge and other top unis only ask for 3 A-levels, or 3 A-levels and 1 AS at most. You'd think that the more you have, the better, but you still get a lot of students getting in to top unis with only 3 A-levels because they also look at extra-curricular activities, personal statement, interview performance if you have one and things like that. If you want to do more subjects because you enjoy them and you want a challenge, then it can't hurt, but I don't think it's worth it if the only reason is to get into a good uni. You'll probably have just as good a chance with 3, as long as you get AAA.
Wild Thing
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
nope..im predicted 6 As in my A2 (maths, phys, hist, eng lit, span, french) and i was rejected b y UCL without interview. My best friend is predicted AAB (maths,chem,bio) and got in
Jianren
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you do less A Levels, they know that you're more likely to achieve a higher/target grade (generally speaking) because you have more time to devote to each subject, and aren't spread thin over twice the amount of subjects.
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think the more subjects you do, the higher chances you get into a top uni. It just depends what you grades you get in the subjects.
Font
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
re: orig post,

your views are true, but the point must be made that you do need at least 3 subjects - someone with only a single A-level would find it extremely hard, if not impossible to get into a top uni,

Phil
Zaq
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
really?ok...

wat about applying for a scholarship? will i get a better chance? :aetsch:
Checking for Spies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
IMHO they'd probably choose someone who was predicted 6 A'S rather than 3 if they were stuck.......but personally I wouldn't want all that extra work in the first place lol.
dustyjim
Report 15 years ago
Some silly places get really cranky with you for more than 3 A Levels - one of my unis wants AAAB (A2) - I was told by somebody at this Uni that they want me to do well in everything I take regardless of how many subjects I take; he said that they'd probably have offered me AAA if I had only take three. Alas! (whether or not to believe him is another case)
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not at all! I do 3 A levels plus general studies, and I got into Cambridge this year. Remember, it's not quantity, it's quality!!!
Baddest Student
Report 15 years ago
Higher no. of A-level subjects= Higher no. of pressure=Lower no. of good grades= lower possibility of admission in good uni's. 3 or max. 4 is wise.
Wild Thing
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Baddest Student)
Higher no. of A-level subjects= Higher no. of pressure=Lower no. of good grades= lower possibility of admission in good uni's. 3 or max. 4 is wise.
don't depress me, im taking 6 :rolleyes: :flute:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (65)
41.4%
Take autumn exams (54)
34.39%
Look for a job (4)
2.55%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.55%
Take a year out (21)
13.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.73%

Watched Threads