Turn on thread page Beta

Imperial's non-academic aspects watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've made an application to Imperial College London, and from a purely academic point of view I'd be happy to go there. However from a non-academic point of view I have a few concerns. Perhaps someone going there currently who visits this forum could help and set me straight on a few things (true/false)?
    a)The male:female ratio appears to be quite horrendous
    b)There's a lot of shared accomodation in halls for first years
    c)It has a reputation for being full of nerds and geeks, but is this deservedly so (by that I mean are a lot of students socially reclusive or something?)
    d) There are few central meeting places for students in the evenings and the Students Union is quite weak, doing little about it
    e)The prices for rent in the area are ridiculously high (being London n' all)
    (I don't want to spend three years commuting from home!)
    f)There is a limited range of sports available to students

I know that list seems like I'm trying to put down Imperial, I'm not, it's just some of many stories and rumours that go on about the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Recusant)
    I've made an application to Imperial College London, and from a purely academic point of view I'd be happy to go there. However from a non-academic point of view I have a few concerns. Perhaps someone going there currently who visits this forum could help and set me straight on a few things (true/false)?
    a)The male:female ratio appears to be quite horrendous
    b)There's a lot of shared accomodation in halls for first years
    c)It has a reputation for being full of nerds and geeks, but is this deservedly so (by that I mean are a lot of students socially reclusive or something?)
    d) There are few central meeting places for students in the evenings and the Students Union is quite weak, doing little about it
    e)The prices for rent in the area are ridiculously high (being London n' all)
    (I don't want to spend three years commuting from home!)
    f)There is a limited range of sports available to students

I know that list seems like I'm trying to put down Imperial, I'm not, it's just some of many stories and rumours that go on about the place.
    yup (and unanimous verdicts from my friends there that London gals are very *****y and cliquey), yup, definitely yup (especially overseas students who're paying a ton in tuition fees), not quite (there may not be a specified central venue, but all the clubs have student nights where KCL, UCL, IC, LSE... all get together), definitely yup and nope (I'm sure London has everything to offer sports wise).

ReputationRep:
    I didn't put down IC as my insurance because I was impressed with the attitudes of the students/lecturers. I know my experience was very limited, but when making such a big decision, little things can easily put you off.

Ive heard that Imperial can be quite a cold place, cos its just so big! I've also heard stories about how students can be treated quite badly by lecturers. However, Ive been told that they are constantly asking for student feedback and making improvements on any aspect they can each year.
    I suppose it can be quite boring because there is a high number of overseas students- now thats not say overseas students are socially reclusive!!! But, as Jools points out, the last thing they want to do is do bad in exams etc if their parents are forking out over £10K a year!
    From what I see, most imperial students also applied to Oxbridge...so I guess their student atmosphere may be similar to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    a) True
    b) True - its more fun to share.
    c) False - but there are are few real weirdos
    d) Damn lies
    e) Higher than elsewhere but you will be in central London. Halls are cheap (esp. if you share)
    f) Loads of sports!

John ICL 1st Year CS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I didn't put down IC as my insurance because I was impressed with the attitudes of the students/lecturers.
    Don't you mean did not didn't?

Or u bein sarcastic again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Don't you mean did not didn't?

Or u bein sarcastic again!
    Haha, I just noticed that. I wasn't impressed with the ...etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    and unanimous verdicts from my friends there that London gals are very *****y and cliquey
    Woah.. thats a bit harsh :mad:

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.