Phospholipid Bilayer question

Watch this thread
G O D I V A
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Membranes are made up of a phospholipid bilayer. What is the use/function of:
  • cholesterol
  • glycoprotein
  • integral proteins embedded in the phospholipid bilayer

I'm revising for an exam in 2 days so please help
Hobnobs Galore
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
Cholesterol molecule straightens out hydrocarbon chains. Glycoprotein- for communication and transport (i think)

and proteins for transport- eg carrier proteins
BillyMarsh
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Glycoproteins branch off into the surrounding fluids and stabilise the cell.
They are also used for intracellular messaging (Antigens specifically).

The embedded proteins could be carrier proteins / protein channels which are used in Active Transport in and out of the cell i.e. Na+ or they could be enzymes such as ATPase.

Cholesterol maintains mechanical stability.
Malsy
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Cholesterol; to stabilise the bilayer as it would be too fluid without it.
Glycoproteins; to act as receptors(I think)
Integral Proteins: ion pores(to transport ions) or transport proteins(to carry glucose and amino acids)
Hobnobs Galore
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Lol this thread proves how long ago it was since i did biology a-level!
Malsy
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Hobnobs Galore)
Lol this thread proves how long ago it was since i did biology a-level!

Lol. count yourself lucky; it's a nightmare.
kc-raine
Report 13 years ago
cholesterol stablises the membrane.
glycoproteins are used as receptors i think.
other proteins are used as carriers or to create channels to help transport ions/molecules across the membrane.

hope it helps a bit!
BillyLiu
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by G O D I V A)
Membranes are made up of a phospholipid bilayer. What is the use/function of:
  • cholesterol
  • glycoprotein
  • integral proteins embedded in the phospholipid bilayer

I'm revising for an exam in 2 days so please help
I'll help myself helping you by doing this Interview tomorrow in Cambridge - might come up:

Cholesterol does maintain membrane fluidity - it increases fluidity at lower temperature, and vice versa at higher temperatures. The mechanism is that it acts as a wedge to seperate the phospholipid a little, thereby reducing Van Der Waals bonding and also increasing permeability to molecules.

Glycoprotein acts as cell recognition proteins - "self and non self" really.

Integral proteins -
Carrier proteins - actively transport molecules across the membrane against a concentration gradient (e.g. Na - K pump).

Protein Channels - provides a hydrophilic channel through which water solutes can diffuse through, though the protein is specific [question to others: am I right in saying this is facilitated diffusion?]

Protein Receptors - a ligand attaches to the substrate of the protein on one end, and the other end sends a cascade signal inside the cell, expressing or inhibiting a certain gene from T&T a protein.

Cell Adhesion - certainly some attach to the cytoskeleton inside the cell, and attach to other cell membranes.

lol, wall of text there. Hope this helps!
FATIMABHATTI
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thanks hope this comes up in the exam now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
42.28%
The paper was reasonable (223)
43.05%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.27%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed