Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    As I said on another thread:

Maths, Operational Research, Statistics, Economics, are all pretty Ib-friendly, and after your MORSE degree, I would think that you can branch off to many other areas of post grad studies. LSE's management science is similar to MORSE i think. Well 'management sciences' and 'operational research' are pretty much inter-changeable terms. I know that most people who do management sciences go to IBs.

BUT, I would go for LSE's acturial science because:

1.LSE's rep > Warwick's
    2. If you don't like acturial science, you can change to Business Mathematics and Statistics after your first year (refer to prospectus), as the 1st year modules are the same for both courses. This is good, as after your first year, you will have a good idea which road you want to take. If you are sure you want to be an Actury - you'll carry on doing Acturial Science. If you want to have a course more like MORSE at Warick, you can do Business mathematics and statistics. The courses is similar to MORSE in that you can choose to do Operational Research, Economics, Finance...etc. If you look at the prospectus (pg 78+79), BMS is a very flexible course, so please--> no bull about LSE's course not flexible etc..
    Yes if you want to become an actuary and get the exceptions then LSE is the way forward.
    BMS seems to be a very 'flexible' course. I personally think it is not.
    They allow you to do so many modules but because of the length, and the structure, of the course you will only be able to take very few of them.
    i.e. 1 outside option (in Economics/finance and etc..) in the 2nd yr which WILL limit your choice in the 3rd yr...
    There is also NO compulsory rigorous unit. After all Mathematics at university is about proof! IF you do decided to take a rigorous course in the 2nd yr, (e.g. Introduction to abstract mathematics) it will mean that you won't be able to do any Op Re during ur degree and you will also miss out on a important actuary module (Financial or Survival Models).

ReputationRep:
    As I said on another thread:

Maths, Operational Research, Statistics, Economics, are all pretty Ib-friendly, and after your MORSE degree, I would think that you can branch off to many other areas of post grad studies. LSE's management science is similar to MORSE i think. Well 'management sciences' and 'operational research' are pretty much inter-changeable terms. I know that most people who do management sciences go to IBs.

BUT, I would go for LSE's acturial science because:

1.LSE's rep > Warwick's
    2. If you don't like acturial science, you can change to Business Mathematics and Statistics after your first year (refer to prospectus), as the 1st year modules are the same for both courses. This is good, as after your first year, you will have a good idea which road you want to take. If you are sure you want to be an Actury - you'll carry on doing Acturial Science. If you want to have a course more like MORSE at Warick, you can do Business mathematics and statistics. The courses is similar to MORSE in that you can choose to do Operational Research, Economics, Finance...etc. If you look at the prospectus (pg 78+79), BMS is a very flexible course, so please--> no bull about LSE's course not flexible etc..

Thats a good point.

Does anybody know where I can find out the structure of the LSE course. MORSE is 10-30-60, in terms of weight in each of the three years, that comprises the degree. This does not appeal as 60% of the degree is in the third year, and that seems like quite a heavy workload.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad fer united)
    Thats a good point.

Does anybody know where I can find out the structure of the LSE course. MORSE is 10-30-60, in terms of weight in each of the three years, that comprises the degree. This does not appeal as 60% of the degree is in the third year, and that seems like quite a heavy workload.
    heh this is about the same at every university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    heh this is about the same at every university.
    DAMN! Two years dossing! Third year - lock yourself in your room all year!

ReputationRep:
    DAMN! Two years dossing! Third year - lock yourself in your room all year!
    wouldn't recommend that! especially if they won't let u go on if u dun pass the less advanced modules.

ReputationRep:
    PwC didn't reveal too much, they mainly said it is easy to become an accountant and any degree at any university does not prohibit you from doing so.

If you want to become an actuary however, most people have firsts or masters. Generally in maths, or actuarial science or something along those lines.

I e-mailed the Warwick undergraduate admissions and asked:
    How many exemptions is it possible to gain in the three year MORSE degree as opposed to the four year MMORSE degree? and Do candidates who take the four year degree have greater job prospects? He replied:

Three exemptions on the BSc.

The four year leads direct to a Masters.
    The reason for doing it is more long-term rather than the short term
    reason of getting a job.

If you wish to get the maximum number of actuarial exemptions in the
    shortest possible time, then you should do an actuarial science degree.
    MMORSE contains a lot more mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    ic, thx for ur information! well, maybe afterall an actuarial science degree is best for an actuary then Maybe my determination to be an actuary is not greate enough. The uni, the campus, the department, the course, the people, has been very impressive, so I'll still go for MMORSE and decide my career life in my end of 2nd yr instead.

well, whatever each of us whom was in the same sitiuation have chosen, good luck!

PS. thinking back, I said I would do anything to go in LSE, now they gave me an offer and I didn't chose them as firm...Sigh...I am such an arse dun u think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cktlee1)
    ic, thx for ur information! well, maybe afterall an actuarial science degree is best for an actuary then Maybe my determination to be an actuary is not greate enough. The uni, the campus, the department, the course, the people, has been very impressive, so I'll still go for MMORSE and decide my career life in my end of 2nd yr instead.

well, whatever each of us whom was in the same sitiuation have chosen, good luck!

PS. thinking back, I said I would do anything to go in LSE, now they gave me an offer and I didn't chose them as firm...Sigh...I am such an arse dun u think?
    Are you not interested in BMS either then?

ReputationRep:
    Are you not interested in BMS either then?
    nope, and I doubt it is really that easy to transfer from BMS to N321, given that they asked BMS student to go on N321 instead...and also, I really want to do a 4yr course with Masters

u never know, I might fail my AEA maths so miserably, and get into LSE afterall, not saying LSE is bad, coz I would be most happy to go in LSE too. Think I am under certain risks though, what if i dun even get AAB get put into clearing and off i go to somewhere strange and unknown...

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Good luck with your A2 and beyond, wherever you will be going!

ReputationRep:
    TheWolf where will you be going to university? I notice you have also been accepted to Warwick and LSE!

ReputationRep:
    TheWolf where will you be going to university? I notice you have also been accepted to Warwick and LSE!
    Im choosing LSE, ofcourse. Can't wait to go!

ReputationRep:
    Im choosing LSE, ofcourse. Can't wait to go!
    What were the courses involved?
    I think I am leaning towards LSE as well.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Acc and Fin. You've got an amazing offer (abb!) :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Acc and Fin. You've got an amazing offer (abb!) :eek:
    Yeh, I know. Don't understand why though! I got ABB for an AAA-AAB course, and most people on TSR have been made higher offers.

My personal statement didn't even include the words actuarial science or actuary. 50% of it described my extra-curricular activities.

ReputationRep:
    I have been struggling within myself for quite a while which one to choose between the 2 courses as well.
    Now that I've got an offer to study Actuarial Science in LSE (AAA) and, hopefully, an offer to do MMORSE in Warwick, I've decided that I will stick to LSE since I am quite determined to become an actuary (well... if I can...). If you are very serious about choosing such career, I think you should go for LSE as I suppose employers would prefer a more concentrated course rather than one which includes various aspects.
    I'm not sure if this can help but that's all I would say.

Btw, cktlee... I'm also from Hong Kong and I ALSO went to Warwick for an interview on Feb 16 ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heeyu)
    I have been struggling within myself for quite a while which one to choose between the 2 courses as well.
    Now that I've got an offer to study Actuarial Science in LSE (AAA) and, hopefully, an offer to do MMORSE in Warwick, I've decided that I will stick to LSE since I am quite determined to become an actuary (well... if I can...). If you are very serious about choosing such career, I think you should go for LSE as I suppose employers would prefer a more concentrated course rather than one which includes various aspects.
    I'm not sure if this can help but that's all I would say.

Btw, cktlee... I'm also from Hong Kong and I ALSO went to Warwick for an interview on Feb 16 ^_^

Oh? who were u?! Boy or Girl? Any distinguishable clothings? I was the one wearing suit, and got called out by Mrs Castle for arrangements. I Looked stupid, but hey :P Anyway, nice to meet u

I decided to do MMORSE instead, i think which ever i chose could ultimately end up in a good career and that should be fine enough for me...I dun look too high ^^ and whoa I like Warwick a lot after the visit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cktlee1)
    Oh? who were u?! Boy or Girl? Any distinguishable clothings? I was the one wearing suit, and got called out by Mrs Castle for arrangements. I Looked stupid, but hey :P Anyway, nice to meet u

I decided to do MMORSE instead, i think which ever i chose could ultimately end up in a good career and that should be fine enough for me...I dun look too high ^^ and whoa I like Warwick a lot after the visit!
    LOL! I have changed my mind as well. I think Warwick have showed more class in the whole UCAS procedure. They have sent me letters on a frequent basis, given me a course booklet, and just yesterday invited me to another open day entitled FAMILY DAY.

Whereas LSE, selected students on the basis of personal statements alone - no interview whatsoever - so inarticulate people have been accepted onto the course - and set an open day 8 days before the deadline. How arrogant?

ReputationRep:
    Whereas LSE, selected students on the basis of personal statements alone - no interview whatsoever - so inarticulate people have been accepted onto the course - and set an open day 8 days before the deadline. How arrogant?
    hey even though I prefered MMORSe, u can't diss LSE like that! GGRrr! (I am a full supporter of LSE as one of the greatest uni! lol :embarasse )

But word of advice to everyone in this situation...u ought to study more and revise on A2 course rather than doing research on Internet about MORSE and N321...lol, else u will end up like me, having piles of work to do every night to make deadlines!

GGrr....Psychology 20 questions + essay... Economics research on CAP...All for tomorrow, I'm dead..(not in a working mood, thank you :dancing: )

ReputationRep:
    I agree with mad fer united that LSE really should interview some people. LSE probably can't interview everyone, as e.g. Accounting and Finance has over 2000 applicants, and many of these applicants are overseas applicants. I think that the more average applicants should be interviewed nevertheless.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.