This discussion is closed.
rt6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Are unis allowed to "cancel" and offer that they have already made? Reason being, a friend of mine is doing 4 A2 subjects and has an offer from a couple of places. However, he's thinking of dropping one of the subjects. I know you have to let the uni's know that youve dropped it, but what if you dont/ can they take their offer back? If not, why dont most people who do 4 A2s just drop one after they get their offers? :confused:
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You are given a conditonal offer on the understanding you get the grades specifiied, if you don't and you don't tell them you have dropped it then you university will probably decline you an offer anyway. If you tell them they are more likely to be freindly about it. Otherwise you'te just wasting everybody's time.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They can change the offer, but they don't always. If the existing offer is for 3 A levels then it probably won't change.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I sent the universities I applied to a letter a couple of weeks ago to explain that I dropped English language, leaving me with the required 3 A2s. None of them have got back to me yet; that might suggest that they don't really care (or they may just not have got round to replying/deciding what to do yet! ) Don't reckon it makes too much difference though, although they are entitled to change or withdraw an offer.
Kirsten
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
they are entitled to change or withdraw an offer.
You've got me worried now, I haven't changed or dropped any subjects, but I have had a conditional offer from my first choice without an interview. I was certain, as its Architecture, that I would need an interview and as it says it on their prospectus.

Apart from this I only have one other offer and I am planning to withdraw from the last Uni I'm waiting for, as its taking soooo long (Manchester).

Could my first choice turn around and withdraw their offer!!!! Because this would leave me on a horrible situation as the only only offer I have recieved I really dont know if I would be comfortable there!!
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kirsten)
You've got me worried now, I haven't changed or dropped any subjects, but I have had a conditional offer from my first choice without an interview. I was certain, as its Architecture, that I would need an interview and as it says it on their prospectus.

Apart from this I only have one other offer and I am planning to withdraw from the last Uni I'm waiting for, as its taking soooo long (Manchester).

Could my first choice turn around and withdraw their offer!!!! Because this would leave me on a horrible situation as the only only offer I have recieved I really dont know if I would be comfortable there!!
If your situation hasn't changed, then no. If you've dropped a subject/lied etc then they can, but that's the only time they can
Kirsten
Report 14 years ago
Cheers, I was a bit worried then but I can relax now.
The grades they have offered I should hopefully quite easily get so as long as I keep their offer I should be set in going there.

Cheers again
*K*
RObTRIP
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
just keep up all the subjects and if you really cant cope with the workload then just fail the 4th or whatever, not recommended but it beats the risk of losing your first choice offer!!!
good luck
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just email the universities, and ask them whether dropping the subject is OK or not. From some universities, they specifically say that if you are planning to drop your 4th A2, you should write to them first. And yes, they can change their offer as you are changing your original conditions. E.g. you could say that you were going to be doing 10 A2s and get predicted 10As when in the end you are doing 3A2s like other people after you get all your offers. This obviously gave you an unfair advantage.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kirsten)
Cheers, I was a bit worried then but I can relax now.
The grades they have offered I should hopefully quite easily get so as long as I keep their offer I should be set in going there.

Cheers again
*K*
Which uni is it that didn't interview you? My friend has applied for arch and I think she said she expected an interview from somewhere but got a straight offer instead *intrigued*
Kirsten
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Which uni is it that didn't interview you? My friend has applied for arch and I think she said she expected an interview from somewhere but got a straight offer instead *intrigued*
Lincoln Uni, although the offer is really quite low (CCD) the course, facilities and Lincoln in generally is great and I really think I could fit in there.

Thats the thing the grades are quite low, because they don't believe that they give a good impression of what you would be like as an architect. They want to see your personality and see, I suppose, your passion for architecture and thats why an interview I thought was so important.

The only thing I can conclude is that my personal statement and reference met their requirements. Might be the same for your friend. Although I dont take any art subjects and becuase I didn't have an interview they havent seen a portfolio which I thought would be quite important!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.61%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
22.32%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.07%

Watched Threads