Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsC)
    Couldn't agree more and isn't wikipedia fantastic?
    its really good; got nearly everything i want to know on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    I've been told officially at university not to use wikepedia as a source when writing essays, because it is often innaccurate/unreliable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    I've been told officially at university not to use wikepedia as a source when writing essays, because it is often innaccurate/unreliable...
    i guess thats fair enough if youre doign some specific things; it is just written by people like you and me after all!

but for general knowledge its brilliant

ReputationRep:
    I'm suprised no-one has said they're going to give up sexual activity for a month, like the guy in the film.

I don't think i'll give anything up, as i probably won't stick to it.

ReputationRep:
    i guess thats fair enough if youre doign some specific things; it is just written by people like you and me after all!

but for general knowledge its brilliant
    I suppose so, but if it is often innaccurate/unreliable, then it surely can't be great for general knowledge, just as it isn't for anything else...

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so, but if it is often innaccurate/unreliable, then it surely can't be great for general knowledge, just as it isn't for anything else...
    well then how can you suppose so :p: ?

i thought you were talking about specific things, like.. more high level stuff than the average person would need to know (you know, things you might need to use in uni-grade essays and stuff).
    in that respect it might be inaccurate but in the more 'common' things (that are more likely to have more information sources) would still be perfectly reliable. hence for general knowledge its great

ReputationRep:
    I am always using it! It even had something about elephant polo (don't ask)! I used to use atomica but they stopped providing their service for free.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed it is not always that accurate but then how can you say any other resource is. The only way you know is by verifing what you find with another source. If I am doing research for essays I always look things up in several places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsC)
    Agreed it is not always that accurate but then how can you say any other resource is. The only way you know is by verifing what you find with another source. If I am doing research for essays I always look things up in several places.
    To be honest the only things I would use on the internet for essays is J-stor (an on-line collection of articles from academic journals) and the Grove on-line Dictionary of Music and Musicians. Otherwise, I only use academic books - stuff off the internet is generally too unreliable, and not detailed enough. Editing is on the whole much less rigorous on the internet than in academic books/journals - anyone can post stuff on the internet, after all.

Edit: Sorry for hi-jacking the thread! Hope it gets back on-topic soon...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.