Is it possible to get to uni? Watch

This discussion is closed.
talksoccer
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey all,

I really would like to go to university and currently live in birmingham, so would like to go birmingham uni.

I was wondering at college im currently doing edexcel AVCE ICT and if i can get a C grade or higher. I have passed my gnvq ict by getting 340 points and also have a pass in english ( B Grade) and English literature (C Grade) with 4 D Grade gcses in maths etc.

But i was wondering would i get into uni to do an course of any sort say in birmingham with avce ict and those grades i mentioned above but i dont have a maths c or higher. Also what courses will i get in for possibly, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank YOU
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by talksoccer)
Hey all,

I really would like to go to university and currently live in birmingham, so would like to go birmingham uni.

I was wondering at college im currently doing edexcel AVCE ICT and if i can get a C grade or higher. I have passed my gnvq ict by getting 340 points and also have a pass in english ( B Grade) and English literature (C Grade) with 4 D Grade gcses in maths etc.

But i was wondering would i get into uni to do an course of any sort say in birmingham with avce ict and those grades i mentioned above but i dont have a maths c or higher. Also what courses will i get in for possibly, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank YOU
To be perfectly honest I doubt it, Birmingham is a hard university to get into and you you will need A and B's in the AVCE and for anything computing related they will probably want maths A level. Its very tough, I ended up getting AB in my AVCE and a B in AS Business Studies, the best place I could get into was Salford.

Have you thought about other universities in your area such as Coventry? It should be quite a bit easier to get into.

Edit: Just to make it a bit clearer you will get into a university with those grades, just probably not Birmingham.
smallthoms
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Birmingham Uni should have a website with specific information on admissions criteria.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's possible to get into uni with those grades. By the way, is the AVCE double award? For computing type courses at birmingham you need AAB or ABB. A-level math is preferred but optional.
talksoccer
What about Manchester?

How much will the pass of maths at gcse level help?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What about Manchester?

How much will the pass of maths at gcse level help?
No chance at Manchester, you would be pushing it for even Salford or MMU, you could try Bolton but thats not really Manchester. Maths at GCSE will help matters. Assuming this AVCE is double award thats still only 160 points if you get two C's, Bolton ask for 160 so you should be ok. Not too sure about MMU but they wanted at least one A in AVCE or 160 points from traditional A levels, despite their prospectus saying 160 points at the time (this has probably changed since).

Salford want 180 points for Business IT (which I know nothing about that course), 220 for my course (Multimedia and Internet Technology), and 240 for Computer Science or Internet Computing.

My mate applied for Salford (my course) with estimated grades of CC in the AVCE, he got rejected.

I think you have three options to consider:

1) One go to any university that will let you in
2) Work out why you're not getting really good grades, try and change what is causing this, either work harder, or do a couple of A2s which will help m,atters a lot.
3) Do an HND, Foundation Degree or maybe even an access course, if you're good at it you will be moved up to a normal degree, if you're not then you have saved yourself from wasting a year at university.

I would look into option number three, foundation degrees may suit you more than doing a normal first degree. They are two years but can be topped off into a normal degree if you do well enough.

Finally why do you want to go to university? With millions of other graduates out there you will need a niche to make it worth your while or you go into a graduate only profession.

PS Manchester will want Maths at A level, plus a few A's etc.
talksoccer
Thank you for the advice mate,

can you recommend me any universities in around london as well possibly which i can try with. I know UCE in birmingham maybe my best option but im looking to get out of brum as its a craphole.

Also that foundation degree is that possible to do in all major universities?
Checking for Spies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What about Aston University?I think it's in Birmingham anyway lol :rolleyes:
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thank you for the advice mate,

can you recommend me any universities in around london as well possibly which i can try with. I know UCE in birmingham maybe my best option but im looking to get out of brum as its a craphole.

Also that foundation degree is that possible to do in all major universities?
I only know a few major uni's offering foundation degrees or foundation route courses. I know salford offers foundation degrees and foundation route courses leading to a bachelor's degree (usually takes 3 years 3 months). Look at uni websites, they will tell you. Most foundation degrees will be offered in ex polytechnics and colleges.

If you want to do a bachelor's degree but don't have enough tariff points/grades/subjects, you could do a foundation route course leading to a bachelor's degree, which takes a few months longer.
talksoccer
(Original post by *alicia*)
What about Aston University?I think it's in Birmingham anyway lol :rolleyes:
I never really thought they will offer me anything as they seem to be another level with science etc but anyone got any ideas?
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
www.ucas.com > course search

This helped me to a great extent when deciding which uni & course i wanted to commit myself to.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads