This discussion is closed.
Da_Head1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey kick-ass yorkers!

Saturday was my interview for CSMaths (Computer science and maths) and to top it off, the interview went well and i got to sample semi-uni living for the first time!!! This is a brief account of my time in york...

First off I arrived for the interview/open day, all the staff were friendly and semi-eccentric which is awesome (but underneath you could see that they could be serious if needed :rolleyes:). Normally you find minimal females in a CS department but there were loads, attractive and intelligent, which was reassuring (esp the one giving the presentation )!

Tour of the campus was thorough, (shame the weather was bad but hey). You guys living in Derwent have got it good! The place was massive, arcades, huge bar/seating area, nice view etc. Alcuin quite nice, very new, bit too much like a hotel for me. My friend is living in Goodricke block C, which was supposed to be the worst accomodation according to the guides, but when I saw it, its not bad at all. Trust me, you should see some the halls in nottingham, *cough.* The weird thing that struck me was the absence of students on a satuday, prolly all gone home

Anyway tour over, end of interview day.....nightlife begins!!!!

First stop White Swan, good prices £2.50 (saturday) per pint, good atmosphere and funny guy with dreadlocks trying to sell us the big issue. His sales pitch was "You should buy this because you're good looking" :confused: Made me crack up! Shame England lost, but hey off to next pub to drown sorrows...

Next stop was a pub called Samuel Smiths which sold only german larger ?! weird looking down the length of the bar and not knowing any of the drinks (including spirits). But it was a case of "we'll have that....and errr...that!" I ended up with something REALLY fizzy and my friend something that was like 8%...ouch lol. We were then approached by a group of ladies, who shall we say were slightly older than us.... (26, 27, 30, 29) :eek:

Making a rather hasty retreat, we went to a nicely stylish bar (which i can't recall the name, down an alley somewhere) where the drinks we a little more expensive so after one drink and being subjected to an african guy accusing us of stealing his pastel drawings we left. Next stop....Plonkers!

Awesome pub, really cool. Nice atmosphere and gotta love the late license! Met some uni girls, studying history, history and english. Nice peeps, york uni girls definitely know how to make good conversation (except I think we accidentally insulted them because they vanished upstairs lol) By this time my bloodstream had a dangerously high alcohol content so it was decided that a kebab was in order. With kebab bought, an argument about chili sauce with owner later :hmpf:, we got a taxi back to campus and slept

Sorry about the length of the post, but I had such a cool first time uni experience I just had to share it Goodrickes' floor may be hard but the hall and everybody in it rocks!!!

Cheers
RiCh
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what is accommodation there like for 1st year students, and what is the situation for 2-4th years? I've applied for 4 year maths, and not sure how i'd manage living out - seems far too an expensive an option, and been told taht the uni accommodation is for 1st years only
posh_git
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
cool! lol im going to the durham open day and was wondering if i shud go out 4 the nite too........ problem is that it'll be on the night before the actual open day! im going up on the 22nd, dunno if i shud go out that nite!!!! the talk things are like at 10am next morning. what you guys think? from what iv read u had a great time!!!!!
Sian01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Da_Head1)
Hey kick-ass yorkers!

Saturday was my interview for CSMaths (Computer science and maths) and to top it off, the interview went well and i got to sample semi-uni living for the first time!!! This is a brief account of my time in york...

First off I arrived for the interview/open day, all the staff were friendly and semi-eccentric which is awesome (but underneath you could see that they could be serious if needed :rolleyes:). Normally you find minimal females in a CS department but there were loads, attractive and intelligent, which was reassuring (esp the one giving the presentation )!

Tour of the campus was thorough, (shame the weather was bad but hey). You guys living in Derwent have got it good! The place was massive, arcades, huge bar/seating area, nice view etc. Alcuin quite nice, very new, bit too much like a hotel for me. My friend is living in Goodricke block C, which was supposed to be the worst accomodation according to the guides, but when I saw it, its not bad at all. Trust me, you should see some the halls in nottingham, *cough.* The weird thing that struck me was the absence of students on a satuday, prolly all gone home

Anyway tour over, end of interview day.....nightlife begins!!!!

First stop White Swan, good prices £2.50 (saturday) per pint, good atmosphere and funny guy with dreadlocks trying to sell us the big issue. His sales pitch was "You should buy this because you're good looking" :confused: Made me crack up! Shame England lost, but hey off to next pub to drown sorrows...

Next stop was a pub called Samuel Smiths which sold only german larger ?! weird looking down the length of the bar and not knowing any of the drinks (including spirits). But it was a case of "we'll have that....and errr...that!" I ended up with something REALLY fizzy and my friend something that was like 8%...ouch lol. We were then approached by a group of ladies, who shall we say were slightly older than us.... (26, 27, 30, 29) :eek:

Making a rather hasty retreat, we went to a nicely stylish bar (which i can't recall the name, down an alley somewhere) where the drinks we a little more expensive so after one drink and being subjected to an african guy accusing us of stealing his pastel drawings we left. Next stop....Plonkers!

Awesome pub, really cool. Nice atmosphere and gotta love the late license! Met some uni girls, studying history, history and english. Nice peeps, york uni girls definitely know how to make good conversation (except I think we accidentally insulted them because they vanished upstairs lol) By this time my bloodstream had a dangerously high alcohol content so it was decided that a kebab was in order. With kebab bought, an argument about chili sauce with owner later :hmpf:, we got a taxi back to campus and slept

Sorry about the length of the post, but I had such a cool first time uni experience I just had to share it Goodrickes' floor may be hard but the hall and everybody in it rocks!!!

Cheers
RiCh
I loved York too! Went out for the night when I went up there, didn't go to any of the places you went to though.(I went to evil eye, the nagshead, and toffs) I'm still loving York
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phil23)
what is accommodation there like for 1st year students, and what is the situation for 2-4th years? I've applied for 4 year maths, and not sure how i'd manage living out - seems far too an expensive an option, and been told taht the uni accommodation is for 1st years only
It depends which college you get. I'm at Langwith, and we can have accomodation any year we want. Other colleges can apply to live in halls again, but it isn't guaranteed.
Da_Head1
Rep:
?
cool! lol im going to the durham open day and was wondering if i shud go out 4 the nite too........ problem is that it'll be on the night before the actual open day! im going up on the 22nd, dunno if i shud go out that nite!!!! the talk things are like at 10am next morning. what you guys think? from what iv read u had a great time!!!!!
Do you have an interview? If not then I would say spend the night definitely!!! Plus the 22nd is a Tuesday, weekdays have more student as it is cheaper.

If you have an interview, i don't think the interviewer would be too impressed with bloodshot eyes and dustbin breath lol
charlord
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ive never herd of plonkers
Da_Head1
Rep:
?
You've been missing out ,
heres the addy

Plonkers
5 Cumberland Street
York, YO1 9SW GB
JonRobson
Report 14 years ago
Excellent..! Did you go to Micklegate takeaway, on the one near the Lowther by the river or some other establishment?

Us Computer Scientists are rather normal. Sure there are some odd ones but for every odd one there is someones who is the complete opposite!

Check out my website www.yo10.co.uk , if you want more info on York. It's quite new but I'm hoping it will grow in content exponentially like all my sites seem too...

Good luck with your offer!
Da_Head1
Rep:
?
Excellent..! Did you go to Micklegate takeaway, on the one near the Lowther by the river or some other establishment?
haha yeah that was the place!!! Those guys are frugal with their chili sauce :p:

Got an offer today for AAB - absolutely extatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RiCh
JonRobson
Report 14 years ago
haha yeah that was the place!!! Those guys are frugal with their chili sauce :p:

Got an offer today for AAB - absolutely extatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RiCh
hehe! Try the Special burger next time - very good. Well done with the offer, hopefully see you in my department soon... who interviewed you?
Da_Head1
Rep:
?
Adrian Bors, totally cool guy, much better than the interviewer i had at imperial.

He said he was a lecturer, what exactly does he teach?
JonRobson
Report 14 years ago
Hahahaahaha Adrian Bors... I'm not his biggest fan it must be said. He has taught me computer systems and is now teaching me computer graphics...
AndyT
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Adrian Bors, totally cool guy, much better than the interviewer i had at imperial.

He said he was a lecturer, what exactly does he teach?
Yeah he just taught me computer systems, I think Adrian really does bore, I've never seen such poor turn out for lectures, poor guy :p: He's nice enough though.
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You could actually understand Adrian Bors?!?!

There was someone else that was interviewed by him the day you were being interviewed, that got very upset because he couldn't understand anything Adrian Bors was saying :P
Had to keep asking him to clarify and then make wild guesses as to what he ment heh.
Da_Head1
Rep:
?
There was someone else that was interviewed by him the day you were being interviewed, that got very upset because he couldn't understand anything Adrian Bors was saying :P
Really ?
Oh man that must have been upsetting for the guy, has he got his offer yet?

I was last to go in for my interview, along the office like upstairs of the department, which is daunting enough!!!

Did you find that out from the computing staff or from the interviewee?
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Really ?
Oh man that must have been upsetting for the guy, has he got his offer yet?

I was last to go in for my interview, along the office like upstairs of the department, which is daunting enough!!!

Did you find that out from the computing staff or from the interviewee?
From the interviewee - I was one of the student guides . I believe he got made an offer though.
Da_Head1
Rep:
?
Cool! Which group did you take around?
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Would have been group 5 that day.
charlord
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=JonRobson]

Check out my website www.yo10.co.uk , if you want more info on York. It's quite new but I'm hoping it will grow in content exponentially like all my sites seem too...

QUOTE]

www.beerfort.com
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 30 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise