The Student Room Group

a level chem in one year gap year

I want to do either biomed, biochemistry or medicine at uni, im currently in yr 13 and im doing biology psychology and photography, i deeply regret not choosing a level chem as this is required for med at most unis and also for biomed/chemistry, ive applied for this place that i can do chemistry at in one year which i will do in my gap year, however i have read online that some unis require you to take all a levels at the same time/ in one sitting, will this be a problem for the courses i want to do?
Original post by milo_shavick
I want to do either biomed, biochemistry or medicine at uni, im currently in yr 13 and im doing biology psychology and photography, i deeply regret not choosing a level chem as this is required for med at most unis and also for biomed/chemistry, ive applied for this place that i can do chemistry at in one year which i will do in my gap year, however i have read online that some unis require you to take all a levels at the same time/ in one sitting, will this be a problem for the courses i want to do?

It's true that if you do your A-level in 3 years instead of 2 years universities can think "oh, they've had more time to study", but in general, it's not a problem, and that situation i mentioned shouldn't affect you as you aren't doing Chem in 3 years as you haven't started it yet, you are doing it in one year. You can also briefly mention how you did your chemistry a-level in one year on your personal statement too.

I did my maths a-level 2 years ago, i am now doing my chemistry and physics a-level now, and universities haven't said nothing. There are many students who do a-levels in one year not two, admittedly most normally do it in year 12, not year 14, but there are those who do it in year 14 too.

Just to confirm; you aren't applying to uni this year, right? You'll apply next year, 2025, after you do your A-Level chem?

Quick Reply