The Student Room Group

Estrangement

Hi I’m in y13 and was wondering if there any type of estrangement where you’re in contact with your parents but they won’t support you at all. I mean this in terms of: when coming back for Easter break and Christmas they’ll let me stay at home (only because I have a key), but they’ll probably make me pay for my own food when I’m back and won’t pay for travelling to and from the uni, and won’t help out w rent as my maintenance loan will barely cover my rent.
And this is all because I’ll be choosing to study at a top 10 uni in a different city rather than picking the **** unis that reside in my city so that they can control me even when I’m 18+
Original post by lilcoochievert
Hi I’m in y13 and was wondering if there any type of estrangement where you’re in contact with your parents but they won’t support you at all. I mean this in terms of: when coming back for Easter break and Christmas they’ll let me stay at home (only because I have a key), but they’ll probably make me pay for my own food when I’m back and won’t pay for travelling to and from the uni, and won’t help out w rent as my maintenance loan will barely cover my rent.
And this is all because I’ll be choosing to study at a top 10 uni in a different city rather than picking the **** unis that reside in my city so that they can control me even when I’m 18+

Hi there,

When parents support an application this doesn't mean you are financially dependant on them nor do you have to live with them. We just ask for them to provide their details to assess you for the higher amount of loan. This is the same for all students under 25 unless they have 3 years of self support prior to the start of your course. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply