This discussion is closed.
pink_lucie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i was watching the travel show and all the countrys they went to the people wernt all loud and chavy like us when there going out. why is it only england that manages to ruin everything? and waste so much police time?
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gossip_girl)
loud and chavy like us
Speak for yourself.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Speak for yourself.
indeed. Im certainly not going to feel guilty for the actions of some of my more scummy countrymen
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why England and not the whole country?
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Why England and not the whole country?
Well, while il agree there are just as much scum in Scotland as England (and doubltess Wales) the english do seem to be quite unable to carry on in a decent manner abroad while the people of the other british nations generally get along fine. Its rather strange really.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Well, while il agree there are just as much scum in Scotland as England (and doubltess Wales) the english do seem to be quite unable to carry on in a decent manner abroad while the people of the other british nations generally get along fine. Its rather strange really.
nothing like some fatalies at euro football riots...
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
True. I haven't seen the TV programme in question but there are other unsavoury things which other countries are guilty of. With England being 'picked on' it seems that the main culprit is that the majority of people in the United Kingdom live in England.

As technik mentioned football, England are always getting stick for trouble at matches, yet look what happened with Slovakia, Italy and now Spain.
spin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i was watching the travel show and all the countrys they went to the people wernt all loud and chavy like us when there going out. why is it only england that manages to ruin everything? and waste so much police time?
Well I know what you mean.. although agree with the other posts ^^ which say that this is obviously a generalisation and it's not -all- English that are like it, and that I suppose it's arguable whether there are -more- like it in England than other countries (I shouldn't think it's something easy to get stats on..).

BUT, if for the sake of argument we assume that this is the case..

Then I think a possible cause could be down to attitude. When I stay with my French relations I've always noticed an emphasis on the family meal, and the idea of being relaxed about eating and drinking. Children are brought up having small amounts of alcohol (my 5 year old cousins drink watered down wine at the table). So they're already used to the idea of alcohol being something you do moderately and socially.. and they're used to the adult environment of their parents.

Lots of my friends here (in England) don't usually eat with their parents, often eating earlier. And even those who do have a fairly quick meal in comparison to the hours they spend on it in France, even when it's not a special occasion. Also, most of their first alcohol experiences involve drinking Vodka in a mate's back garden and the like..

I'm not explaining this very well I think I'll stop trying.. I'm just pondering whether this difference in attitude could lead to a difference in social behaviour..
kateington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What a sweeping statement. Mindless Xenophobia
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
think they just won't show that on these shows since they're supposed to show the best things about those places...
Believe me, you get that everywhere
NTG_
Report 14 years ago
Uh, it's not. Other countries have similar (or arguably worse) problems with anti-social behavior like football hooliganism (eg. Spain recently)
kiaora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hooliganism seems to be most prevalent in germanic countries (england, germany, the netherlands) where people drink most heavily. but i believe that the scots, welsh and irish have similar problems.
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Instead of pointing the finger of blame, perhaps a better idea might be to rectify the situation here.
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ant87)
hooliganism seems to be most prevalent in germanic countries (england, germany, the netherlands) where people drink most heavily. but i believe that the scots, welsh and irish have similar problems.

and just think, the government wanted to open 24-hour pubs.... good old Blair, where would the country be without him. presume the answer is much better off.
piemonster411
Report 14 years ago
we are gettin 24 hour pubs
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yay, more drunk ppl pissing on my doorstep
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The population of this island has always had problems with alcohol, ever since Celtic times even before Queen Boudicca was queen of the Iceni.
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kateington)
What a sweeping statement. Mindless Xenophobia
When was the last time you saw the Irish/Welsh/Scots rioting abroad? Its an observation based on what actually happens and i make no statement regarding why i think it is as it is as i dont know and the fact that the english seem to be the only british grouping to end up in such trouble puzzles me because(as stated)its not as if the peoples of the other nations are astoundingly better behaved or of higher moral fibre generally.
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ant87)
but i believe that the scots, welsh and irish have similar problems.
Certainly you get idiots fighting in Glasgow occasionally but no there is no similiar problem in terms of scots abroad and im not aware of the welsh/irish having a problem either.
kateington
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=an Siarach]When was the last time you saw the Irish/Welsh/Scots rioting abroad? Its an observation based on what actually happens and i make no statement regarding why i think it is as it is as i dont know and the fact that the english seem to be the only british grouping to end up in such trouble puzzles me because(as stated)its not as if the peoples of the other nations are astoundingly better behaved or of higher moral fibre generally.[/QUOTE

But that's not what happens at all
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.2%
Not great so far... (227)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.34%

Watched Threads