The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Self-catered and Catered - Durham University

Hey,

I'm currently ranking my colleges preferences, however I've been stuck with the catering idea. If a college is Catered with no Self-catering services does that mean I have to pay for the catering fees even if I want to cook for myself?

Thanks!
💌
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Ay03ys
Hey,
I'm currently ranking my colleges preferences, however I've been stuck with the catering idea. If a college is Catered with no Self-catering services does that mean I have to pay for the catering fees even if I want to cook for myself?
Thanks!
💌

Hi, yes the catering fee is automatically embedded into the cost of catered accommodation so you can not choose not to pay it. Another thing to consider is that kitchen facilities in catered colleges will be variable, for example in mine we have a few kitchens with ovens and things but mostly pantries which only have microwave, sink, kettle and toaster
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, yes the catering fee is automatically embedded into the cost of catered accommodation so you can not choose not to pay it. Another thing to consider is that kitchen facilities in catered colleges will be variable, for example in mine we have a few kitchens with ovens and things but mostly pantries which only have microwave, sink, kettle and toaster

Oh thank you, also sorry but what means fully catered? I mean what's the difference between catered and fully catered?
Original post by Ay03ys
Oh thank you, also sorry but what means fully catered? I mean what's the difference between catered and fully catered?

Where have you seen the term fully catered being used? All colleges are catered 3 meals a day 7 days a week as far as I’m aware so the only difference I’m guessing is that some colleges also have separate self catering accommodation.
Original post by Ay03ys
Hey,
Thanks!
💌

Yes, best to stick to self-catering. I do think some really nice colleges are catered like St Mary’s and Hatfield.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
Where have you seen the term fully catered being used? All colleges are catered 3 meals a day 7 days a week as far as I’m aware so the only difference I’m guessing is that some colleges also have separate self catering accommodation.

I've seen it for St john's. Oh yes, I've seen castle that have self-catered accommodations, but havent seen any other colleges that does it
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes, best to stick to self-catering. I do think some really nice colleges are catered like St Mary’s and Hatfield.

Which are the best self catering colleges ?? I'm also mainly looking for ensuite...
Original post by Ay03ys
Which are the best self catering colleges ?? I'm also mainly looking for ensuite...

The best college would depend on your personal preferences such as whether you want to live closer to your department or central location or town etc.

If you want self-catered, you could consider John Snow, Stephenson or College of St Hild and St Bede

If not, St Mary’s or Hatfield.
Original post by Ay03ys
I've seen it for St john's. Oh yes, I've seen castle that have self-catered accommodations, but havent seen any other colleges that does it

Ah St. John’s may be slightly different terminology as it’s a private college (I’m not exactly sure how but yeah) so I’m not sure what the difference would be there
Original post by Ay03ys

Castle also has some at Kepier Court, but do not expect to get into that college.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Ay03ys

Hiya,

Your best bet is looking at the Hill colleges as most of them are self catered and have ensuite options. St Cuthbert's Society Parsons Field is also self catered but since its still a bailey college, it won't be guaranteed you get allocated the self-catered accommodation for Cuths 🙂
To cater, or not to cater? That is the question. The Durham Student

I linked a blog by one of our students on catered vs self catered, I hope it can give you a bit more insight 🙂

Hope this helps!

-Ghala

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending