The Student Room Group

Accom (for any uni)

Is it worth paying extra for catered accommodation, or is it cheaper just going w self catered and buying your own food?
Original post by eg4nhrr
Is it worth paying extra for catered accommodation, or is it cheaper just going w self catered and buying your own food?

Hi @eg4nhrr

I have only ever lived in self catered accommodation myself, but I personally prefer having more choice and freedom over my meals and food. I live fairly cheaply as I budget well, and to be honest when I first went to uni I wasn't too experienced with cooking, but now I feel really confident. I wouldn't say catered is necessarily a cheaper option, as you can still live a cheaper lifestyle when self catered - having a budget, meal plan and meal prepping can all help you out.

I have a friend who lived in catered accom for her first year and she says she wishes she had self catered instead. She found the food eventually became quite repetitive as it was on a two weekly meal plan, and found over time it wasn't as effective and easy as it first seemed. This isn't to say there aren't some good catered options out there though, this is just her experience.

Maybe have a look at some TikToks or online videos of other students' experiences to see if there's anymore advice out there. But for me, having the freedom with my meals was what made me go for self catered accommodation.

Best of luck. 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU

Quick Reply