The Student Room Group

Eng Drop out rates

I’ve heard that in the world engineering courses in uni have the highest drop out rates out of every course. Can someone confirm this or comment on this?
Reply 1
https://debut.careers/degree-dropouts/

In the UK 4th behind...
Computer Science
Business
Mass communication

I suspect a popular reasons is students finding it unexpectedly boring tbh. .. But that would probably apply to a lot of other subjects to some extent as well.
I’ve heard that in the world engineering courses in uni have the highest drop out rates out of every course. Can someone confirm this or comment on this?
Hey there ,
The truth is , it's a common misconception that engineering courses have the highest dropout rates compared to other disciplines. Although engineering programs tend to be challenging and rigorous, dropout rates can vary widely depending on factors such as the institution, the facilities, and specific engineering discipline.
That being said, engineering programs often do have higher academic demands because of the complex nature of the coursework and the need for strong good problem-solving skills. This can sometimes result in higher drop out rates compared to some other fields.
Overall it is important to note that dropout rates alone shouldn't deter someone from pursuing engineering if they have a genuine interest and passion for the field.

I strongly suggest that you thoroughly research the engineering course that you want to study , the universities that offer it and the facilities , opportunities and support offered by the university. This will affect your experience and your likelihood of staying in the course. Staying in engineering and doing well has been pretty achievable at DMU because of the amazing academic support , the facilities and the great teaching staff. Because of my experience I would advise anyone passionate about it to pursue it regardless of drop out rates.
I hope this helps .
Cece
Energy Engineering student
De Montfort University
I can't speak for engineering courses across the world, but in the UK there is no concerted effort amongst universities to produce a high dropout rate among engineering students in particular. As such, engineering courses mostly have high completion (i.e. low dropout) rates. Dropouts are more likely to be due to a misunderstanding of what the course entails rather than students being pushed out in large numbers.

Quick Reply