The Student Room Group

University Halls or private housing?

Hi!
My partner and I are headed to London in September, both enrolling at LSE for postgrad studies. The university offers a few options for couples in doubles rooms or studios, but availability is pretty limited, so we need to book ASAP. However, the rooms seem a bit small for the price. Still, university halls have great facilities and are close to campus. I'm debating whether it's better to look for a one-bed flat or studio in private housing. On one hand, halls are easier to book with a lower deposit, but the contracts are 40-50 weeks long, and I'm worried about needing to cancel later. Plus, the rooms' kitchenettes might be too cramped. On the other hand, private housing nearby is pricier but more comfortable. We're on a budget, so costs are a big deal for us.

Would anyone recommend which option is better? Anyone lived in LSE or UoL halls?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by laura.bernal
Hi!
My partner and I are headed to London in September, both enrolling at LSE for postgrad studies. The university offers a few options for couples in doubles rooms or studios, but availability is pretty limited, so we need to book ASAP. However, the rooms seem a bit small for the price. Still, university halls have great facilities and are close to campus. I'm debating whether it's better to look for a one-bed flat or studio in private housing. On one hand, halls are easier to book with a lower deposit, but the contracts are 40-50 weeks long, and I'm worried about needing to cancel later. Plus, the rooms' kitchenettes might be too cramped. On the other hand, private housing nearby is pricier but more comfortable. We're on a budget, so costs are a big deal for us.
Would anyone recommend which option is better? Anyone lived in LSE or UoL halls?
Thanks!

I can't offer advice from experience, but have a look at UOL's international hall, they have a double bedroom studio where the bed folds up. Still small but it's the best one I've found for couples accom on a budget!

Quick Reply