The Student Room Group

Does applying for higher maintenance loan delay tuition fees if complications happen

I hope you can help with this question.

When making my application for student finance I want to ensure there are no delays in the tuition fees being paid to the university.

I believe I am entitled to the higher amount of maintenance and want to apply for that but am worried that my if my mother's proof of separation is requested and is not sufficient, then it could delay my whole student finance application including the tuition fees and lower level maintenance loan.

Please can you confirm that in such a scenario the tuition fees and lower level Maintenance loan are not affected and it would only be the higher maintenance loan that is delayed or affected? Thanks in advance
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aranjha
I hope you can help with this question.
When making my application for student finance I want to ensure there are no delays in the tuition fees being paid to the university.
I believe I am entitled to the higher amount of maintenance and want to apply for that but am worried that my if my mother's proof of separation is requested and is not sufficient, then it could delay my whole student finance application including the tuition fees and lower level maintenance loan.
Please can you confirm that in such a scenario the tuition fees and lower level Maintenance loan are not affected and it would only be the higher maintenance loan that is delayed or affected? Thanks in advance

Hi Aranjha,

It depends on what stage your application is at or if it's pended for this evidence. If your application is approved for the basic rate and tuition fees then any further evidence won't impact the fees as these already have been awarded. So should it take a while you'd still be awarded the fees and paid the basic rate in the meantime. Thanks, Jason
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Aranjha,
It depends on what stage your application is at or if it's pended for this evidence. If your application is approved for the basic rate and tuition fees then any further evidence won't impact the fees as these already have been awarded. So should it take a while you'd still be awarded the fees and paid the basic rate in the meantime. Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason, Thank your for your answer which sounds positive although I didnt understand the first part of it that "it depends on what stage your application is at or if it's pended for this evidence". I would be grateful if you could clarify and confirm that provided I am eligible for the lower level student maintenance loan, any complications regarding the higher level maintenance loan will not delay course fees being paid on time. I am sorry to press on this its just that I am worried about any delays jeopardizing my place if course fees are not paid on time. Thanks in advance
Original post by aranjha
Hi Jason, Thank your for your answer which sounds positive although I didnt understand the first part of it that "it depends on what stage your application is at or if it's pended for this evidence". I would be grateful if you could clarify and confirm that provided I am eligible for the lower level student maintenance loan, any complications regarding the higher level maintenance loan will not delay course fees being paid on time. I am sorry to press on this its just that I am worried about any delays jeopardizing my place if course fees are not paid on time. Thanks in advance

Yes, you would still be eligible for the lower rate of the maintenance loan. As long as you've made an application and applied for the fees then these will be paid accordingly. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Yes, you would still be eligible for the lower rate of the maintenance loan. As long as you've made an application and applied for the fees then these will be paid accordingly. Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason, Thank you for confirming that. A related question I was holding off asking you but think it may still be relevant, would it be possible to apply for the lower maintenance rate to get a fast approval and then apply for the higher rate if that way is at all possible? Thanks in advance.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by aranjha
Hi Jason, Thank you for confirming that. A related question I was holding off asking you but think it may still be relevant, would it be better to apply for the lower maintenance rate to get a fast approval and then apply for the higher rate if that way is possible? Thanks in advance.

This is entirely up to you. If it's for a 24/25 course the timescales are a lot quicker just now. Be advised if you apply more towards the summer it will take longer due to the high volume of late applicants and people changing course or university. Thanks, Jason
Original post by aranjha
Hi Jason, Thank you for confirming that. A related question I was holding off asking you but think it may still be relevant, would it be better to apply for the lower maintenance rate to get a fast approval and then apply for the higher rate if that way is possible? Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

You would be best to apply for the maximum with the application.

Thanks, Ross
Reply 7
Hi, I was wondering that when I apply for a student loan will the university know from yourselves whether I applied for a lower rate or higher rate maintenance loan? Thanks in advance
Hi there,

The university do not need to know about what Maintenance Loan you have applied for unless you are applying for a bursary through the university and they would want to see your household income which is provided by your sponsor when applying for the higher rate of Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 9
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,
The university do not need to know about what Maintenance Loan you have applied for unless you are applying for a bursary through the university and they would want to see your household income which is provided by your sponsor when applying for the higher rate of Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Drew

Hi Drew thanks for your answer. What I was trying to ask was do they have anyway of knowing from SLC what level of maintenance loan I applied for (other than if I tell them)? Thanks in advance
Hi aranjha,

No, the university do not have access to this information.

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 11
Hi , If your lone parent has a P60 for financial year 2022 to 2023 for their job for that year but did did not submit a self assessment for that year does that slow the application down or prevent your from receiving the higher rate means tested part of the maintenance loan? Thanks in advance.
Original post by aranjha
Hi , If your lone parent has a P60 for financial year 2022 to 2023 for their job for that year but did did not submit a self assessment for that year does that slow the application down or prevent your from receiving the higher rate means tested part of the maintenance loan? Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

No it would not cause issues.

Thanks, Ross
Reply 13
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,
No it would not cause issues.
Thanks, Ross

Thanks as always for your advice. Regarding the required below evidence options to prove my parents are separated, the only evidence we will be able to provide is the most recent Council Tax bill which states we receive a "25% Reduction For Single Occupancy" for the April 2024 to April 2025 council tax year, it also shows this 25% discounts as being applied up to the start of the last quarter of 2023. Would a council tax letter with this wording be sufficient to prove parental separation for this September`s higher loan maintenance application? Apologies for being so granular and revisiting this but I only want to apply if I know no complications will delay the fee payment to the university. Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-for-students-parents-and-partners-providing-evidence-to-support-a-student-finance-application#:~:text=Examples%20of%20evidence%20you%20can,civil%20partnership%20documentation

Evidence to prove that you or your parents are separated, divorced, or have a dissolved civil partnership
Examples of evidence you or your parent can provide to confirm marital status include:

decree nisi or decree absolute

final or conditional order

civil partnership conditional order

a signed and dated letter from your solicitor confirming your status

a signed affidavit

statutory declaration

most recent Council Tax bill with an acceptable discount

Original post by aranjha
Thanks as always for your advice. Regarding the required below evidence options to prove my parents are separated, the only evidence we will be able to provide is the most recent Council Tax bill which states we receive a "25% Reduction For Single Occupancy" for the April 2024 to April 2025 council tax year, it also shows this 25% discounts as being applied up to the start of the last quarter of 2023. Would a council tax letter with this wording be sufficient to prove parental separation for this September`s higher loan maintenance application? Apologies for being so granular and revisiting this but I only want to apply if I know no complications will delay the fee payment to the university. Thanks in advance.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-for-students-parents-and-partners-providing-evidence-to-support-a-student-finance-application#:~:text=Examples%20of%20evidence%20you%20can,civil%20partnership%20documentation
Evidence to prove that you or your parents are separated, divorced, or have a dissolved civil partnership
Examples of evidence you or your parent can provide to confirm marital status include:

a signed affidavit

statutory declaration

If you receive a council tax letter confirming the 25% single person occupancy then we shouldn't need anything further. Thanks, Jason
Original post by aranjha

a signed affidavit

statutory declaration

Hi there,

If you send in a copy of your most recent council tax bill showing 25% single person discount this should be fine to prove the marital status, but the team will review this and if any issues they will contact you or your sponsor.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 16
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,
If you send in a copy of your most recent council tax bill showing 25% single person discount this should be fine to prove the marital status, but the team will review this and if any issues they will contact you or your sponsor.
Thanks,
Claire

Thank your for your answer, although unfortunately it was not particularly helpful due to its ambiguousness.

SFE will have criterion that the council tax letter needs to meet, the link I enclosed of the government guidance on this in its ordinary reading informs readers that provided applicants supply a council tax letter showing a single person discount that is all that is needed. In my question to SFE I have provided the precise wording on the council tax letter and SFE should be able to give a clear answer based on that BEFORE I submit my application.

I kindly request that a more considered answer be given rather the superficial one that was received. Thank you in advance.
Sympathies as always to the SFE reps.
Reply 18
Original post by Admit-One
Sympathies as always to the SFE reps.

SFE reps both on TSR and in the call centre have been extremely helpful and we are lucky to have you to help us. Apologies in advance for my pressing on this question and thanks again for your help.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by aranjha
SFE reps both on TSR and in the call centre have been extremely helpful and we are lucky to have you to help us. Apologies in advance for my pressing on this question and thanks again for your help.

We can't confirm for definite if it will be accepted or not, as your evidence would need to be received and reviewed by assessor who will then advise if your evidence has been accepted to award the higher finance, or if further evidence is required.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending