The Student Room Group

Physics question confusion

Q1) Two forces have magnitudes F and 2F. What is the angle between the two vectors if their sum has a magnitude of root(3)F.

For this question I just have no idea how to visualise this.

Q2) 30.0 g arrow is shot by an archer through an 8.00 cm thick apple
sitting an pedestal. If the arrow enters the apple at 30.0 m/s and emerges at 25.0 m/s in the same direction, with what force has the apple resisted the arrow? How thick must the apple be to stop the arrow?

For this question, I used conservation of momentum to use F= Δp/Δt. I calculated Δt using 0.08/((25+30)/2) but I feel like this isn't correct. I have no idea how to approach the part about thickness at all.

Q3) You have acquired an expensive Monet at an auction and want to hang it in your home from a nail on your wall. The weight of the painting (m=12.6 kg) is shared equally by two wires with an angle of 90 degrees between them. What is the tension in each side of the wire supporting the painting?

Again, I have issues visualising this but would one of the triangles of rope consist of an angle of 45deg and an opposite side of 6.3gN? All i'm finding is the hypotenuse right? My value for one rope ended up being 33.14N
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending