The Student Room Group

Considering speech and language therapy degree

Is there lots of biology involved in the degree,as I’m not the best in science and I have not done biology a level.
Original post by Fatimaaaaaaaaa
Is there lots of biology involved in the degree,as I’m not the best in science and I have not done biology a level.

Omg same im considering doing either speech and language therapy or childrens nursing. What alevels do you do because some alevels might help with speech and language therapy like an alevel at english lit/lang or psychology (i do psychology). I think its best for you to look at the unis that you are applying to and see their course units. Some might have more science related topic and some arent. Also i think alevel biology is only relevant if you are applying to Newcastle university
Original post by blind-ranger
Omg same im considering doing either speech and language therapy or childrens nursing. What alevels do you do because some alevels might help with speech and language therapy like an alevel at english lit/lang or psychology (i do psychology). I think its best for you to look at the unis that you are applying to and see their course units. Some might have more science related topic and some arent. Also i think alevel biology is only relevant if you are applying to Newcastle university

I’m doing English lit,sociology and law and the unis I’m looking at are Sheffield and Manchester and Yh they don’t require biology : ).Both of them unis do a year of biomedical science and I was a bit worried as im not doing any stem subjects at a level.But I’m taking a gap year so I have time to think about it.
Reply 3
Hi, I hope this is still useful to you although this is quite a late response!
In short, no you don't need to have studied Science to do this course. I didn't do Science at A Level, and I've done just fine on an SLT MSc course (I studied linguistics). That being said, the content itself can be quite science-y with a lot of case studies, so if you really don't enjoy that, you might not necessarily enjoy the course. A lot of it is about neuroanatomy, and even if you have your heart set on one specific area (I.e pediatric learning disability) you will still need to cover the other aspects like dysphagia, brain injuries etc, typical childhood development. It really depends what you hope to get out of the career! Feel free to message me about it if you're not sure 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest