The Student Room Group

I’m a first-year French student at Oxford University - AMA!

Hi guys, I thought I’d try to do a wee Q+A on here for any prospective modern languages students on here who are considering applying to Oxford. A little background about myself - I’m a 19 year old from Northern Ireland who is in my first year, I enjoy sport and of course learning languages, and I took French, Spanish, and Moving Image Arts to A-Level. Ask away! :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
What made you want to study French over Spanish?
How hard is the jump for French between A-Level and degree level ?
Original post by robbirlboss
Hi guys, I thought I’d try to do a wee Q+A on here for any prospective modern languages students on here who are considering applying to Oxford. A little background about myself - I’m a 19 year old from Northern Ireland who is in my first year, I enjoy sport and of course learning languages, and I took French, Spanish, and Moving Image Arts to A-Level. Ask away! :smile:

I'm an offer holder for French and Spanish to start this October! I was wondering how you manage the workload and the work around literature analysis/ commentaries having not done English Literature A-level? I do French, Spanish and History instead and I'm worried this will set me back - do you feel that your tutors build this up a lot? Also, what college are you at? Thanks :smile:
Original post by clara2006
I'm an offer holder for French and Spanish to start this October! I was wondering how you manage the workload and the work around literature analysis/ commentaries having not done English Literature A-level? I do French, Spanish and History instead and I'm worried this will set me back - do you feel that your tutors build this up a lot? Also, what college are you at? Thanks :smile:

so i do french spanish and english lit but i dont think id put english lit much ahead (if at all) of history. both being essay subjects, i think the main benefit is being able to read, analyse, and set out an argument, which is something you get from both subjects!
Reply 5
Original post by robbirlboss

Why did you choose Oxford instead of Cambridge. Is it because of the affirmative action that Cambridge seems to be applying, so you thought you would try a "harder" (and proper" university?
Reply 6
Original post by Voxdei
Why did you choose Oxford instead of Cambridge. Is it because of the affirmative action that Cambridge seems to be applying, so you thought you would try a "harder" (and proper" university?

What does affirmative action mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending