The Student Room Group

Brampton EPQ

Hii so Im in Year 10 and I was looking at different sixth form choices available to me. Brampton Manor looks like a really nice one and I think they offer all of the A levels I want to take. However I couldnt find anything on their website regarding the EPQ so I was wondering if anyone who applied there or goes there can tell me if it is possible to do one there as I really wanna do one. Thank youuuu
Original post by Salatalik
Hii so Im in Year 10 and I was looking at different sixth form choices available to me. Brampton Manor looks like a really nice one and I think they offer all of the A levels I want to take. However I couldnt find anything on their website regarding the EPQ so I was wondering if anyone who applied there or goes there can tell me if it is possible to do one there as I really wanna do one. Thank youuuu

Hey im currently in year 12 at brampton. Basically, Brampton does not do EPQs. Instead we do AS levels, which in my opinion is wayy better than doing an EPQ since some Russel group universities do not take EPQs largely to account. An EPQ and AS level has the same UCAS points so you wont be at an disadvantage compared to people who do EPQs. Moreover, brampton has something similar to an epq called an IRP (independent research project), which is basically what you do for an epq but counts largely towards your personal statement which universities will really love.

If you have any questions regarding brampton in general or as levels, feel free to dm or reply.
Reply 2
Original post by 晓Themis
Hey im currently in year 12 at brampton. Basically, Brampton does not do EPQs. Instead we do AS levels, which in my opinion is wayy better than doing an EPQ since some Russel group universities do not take EPQs largely to account. An EPQ and AS level has the same UCAS points so you wont be at an disadvantage compared to people who do EPQs. Moreover, brampton has something similar to an epq called an IRP (independent research project), which is basically what you do for an epq but counts largely towards your personal statement which universities will really love.
If you have any questions regarding brampton in general or as levels, feel free to dm or reply.

Thank you so much! This was incredibly helpful. So do you think I wouldn't be at a disadvantage as I would have something research related to talk about in my personal statement both ways? I do have a lot of questions for someone that goes to Brampton but don't worry I'll only ask the main ones :smile:
-Would you say the workload is hard and overwhelming? I think I would be able to handle it but do you generally think there is a lot of pressure?
-Is the teaching and teachers good and supportive?
-How much do they value extracurriculars?
-Are the people and is the atmosphere friendly?
-Would you generally recommend it?
Thank you so much again!
Original post by Salatalik
Thank you so much! This was incredibly helpful. So do you think I wouldn't be at a disadvantage as I would have something research related to talk about in my personal statement both ways? I do have a lot of questions for someone that goes to Brampton but don't worry I'll only ask the main ones :smile:
-Would you say the workload is hard and overwhelming? I think I would be able to handle it but do you generally think there is a lot of pressure?
-Is the teaching and teachers good and supportive?
-How much do they value extracurriculars?
-Are the people and is the atmosphere friendly?
-Would you generally recommend it?
Thank you so much again!

It’s good to ask and i’m more than happy to answer, u’ll never know something unless u ask for it!

So to answer ur first question with the workload, I would say that regardless of what school you go to, the work load would be a LOT but if you organise yourself at the start of the year, it shouldnt be too overwhelming. Moreover, teachers at brampton would post the lessons and work material online for you to access so you can always go back to catch up or you can look ahead of the lessons to get a head start. (English teachers post all the lesson powerpoints for the entire year at the beginning of the school year) so its optional to read ahead to get a better understanding and be more prepared when going to class.

I’d say for me that the pressure comes mainly from the high expectations i have for myself to succeed and the fact that the school kinda pushes u towards applying to oxbridge, but then again it isnt like overwhelming pressure as long as u dont think much about it and just focus on studying

I can not expresss this hard enough about how supportive the teachers are. They are passionate about their subject and will answer any of your questions and mark any of your practice questions. (My politics and religious studies teacher gives out 1:1 catch up sessions in case you’re scared to ask questions in class and would rather speak to them in private). Subjects aside, brampton has an access team for universities, work experiences and apprenticeships, so whenever there are opportunities they would post it on google classroom daily. This is soo helpful in not only preparing students for university but also for connections and experience to land a job straight after university (Brampton loves to stay ahead of the game !!)

Extracurriculars are just a way for students to explore their interests and develop their skills. I wouldnt say they place great value on extracurriculars but its really good it do anyways since it would show that u’re active outside of ur studies.

Generally, i’d say there isnt any harm applying to the school and if you do go, u’ll get plenty of support from not only the teachers but the year 13s and alumnis. Moreover the quality of teaching is really good and u’ll be studying in a environment that pushes u to succeed. However, if you are someone who really values their social life and going out and having fun, I wouldnt really recommend brampton then since its more of a focus on academics.

Naturally, feel free to ask me any questions that you or any of your friends have. Im currently in exam season so i wont be able to answer them straight away but u can expect an answer within a week.
Reply 4
Original post by 晓Themis
It’s good to ask and i’m more than happy to answer, u’ll never know something unless u ask for it!
So to answer ur first question with the workload, I would say that regardless of what school you go to, the work load would be a LOT but if you organise yourself at the start of the year, it shouldnt be too overwhelming. Moreover, teachers at brampton would post the lessons and work material online for you to access so you can always go back to catch up or you can look ahead of the lessons to get a head start. (English teachers post all the lesson powerpoints for the entire year at the beginning of the school year) so its optional to read ahead to get a better understanding and be more prepared when going to class.
I’d say for me that the pressure comes mainly from the high expectations i have for myself to succeed and the fact that the school kinda pushes u towards applying to oxbridge, but then again it isnt like overwhelming pressure as long as u dont think much about it and just focus on studying
I can not expresss this hard enough about how supportive the teachers are. They are passionate about their subject and will answer any of your questions and mark any of your practice questions. (My politics and religious studies teacher gives out 1:1 catch up sessions in case you’re scared to ask questions in class and would rather speak to them in private). Subjects aside, brampton has an access team for universities, work experiences and apprenticeships, so whenever there are opportunities they would post it on google classroom daily. This is soo helpful in not only preparing students for university but also for connections and experience to land a job straight after university (Brampton loves to stay ahead of the game !!)
Extracurriculars are just a way for students to explore their interests and develop their skills. I wouldnt say they place great value on extracurriculars but its really good it do anyways since it would show that u’re active outside of ur studies.
Generally, i’d say there isnt any harm applying to the school and if you do go, u’ll get plenty of support from not only the teachers but the year 13s and alumnis. Moreover the quality of teaching is really good and u’ll be studying in a environment that pushes u to succeed. However, if you are someone who really values their social life and going out and having fun, I wouldnt really recommend brampton then since its more of a focus on academics.
Naturally, feel free to ask me any questions that you or any of your friends have. Im currently in exam season so i wont be able to answer them straight away but u can expect an answer within a week.

Thank you!!! This was so helpful. I don't have any other questions for now (I might bother you again if I think of any more) 😄 Good luck with your exams 🍀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending