The Student Room Group

Volunteering/Extracurriculars

Hi guys,

I'm in year 11, and am looking to apply to US universities in two years time. Over the summer I want to gain some experience/volunteering, but can't find any. Can someone help?
Hi! I'm in year 11 too and looking for the same. In all honesty it depends on what you want to do. Lots of different charity shops are always looking for volunteers so you could email them or pop in and ask. The same goes for libraries. Basically any public social service. You can search online, there are some good websites specifically for volunteering that may be specific to your local area so you can check them out.
Original post by aleebron
Hi guys,
I'm in year 11, and am looking to apply to US universities in two years time. Over the summer I want to gain some experience/volunteering, but can't find any. Can someone help?

Hi there! đź‘‹ It's great to hear that you are thinking of volunteering and/or gaining work experience. I would suggest firstly thinking about which career you would like to go into and then think of what experience would be beneficial for said career. You can reach out to companies directly by emailing them or phoning them to see if they offer any work experience opportunities, or speak to a teacher in your institution and see if they know of any relevant work experience/volunteering opportunities available. Alternatively, you can visit charity stores and offer your assistance if you would just like general volunteering experience.

I hope this helps.

Lauren
WrexhamUniReps
if you want an easy fix, i did my DofE volunteering on a site called zooniverse. it’s probably not exactly what you want, but if you’re desperate for just SOMETHING to put on, it’s literally just like tiny surveys for scientific research or environmentalism. other than that, your local charity shop, school fun clubs and other kids groups will often be looking for helpers.

i actually didn’t put any volunteering on my ps, but you can write about jobs or whatever you want. also, if you just email any local firms some dates that you want work experience, they’ll often get back to you with something they can offer you.
Reply 4
I guess it depends on what area you want to gain experience, maybe seek out opportunities locally to where you live might be easiest. There are tons of sites you can find on Google, e.g. Linkedin. Or if you are open to going overseas you might want to consider gap year volunteering or this site has a selection of summer volunteer programs abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending