The Student Room Group

Got a third in my second year and the highest I’ve achieved in third year was 55%

I haven’t not done as well as I could have in my second and third year. I was capped at nearly all of my assignments in my second year & received an average of 40-55% in all of my assignments during third year. I am currently completing my dissertation but I’m losing hope because something in me just says what’s the point? I don’t want to give up, I really don’t but I have lots of pressure to achieve a good grade and really want to end up with a 2.1 so I wanted to ask for advise & whether it is possible or not. My dissertation is worth 40% of this years mark so is this still achievable if I do really well in my dissertation?
My advice would be to get a realistic look at what grade your dissertation needs to achieve a 2:1. I used a site called calculator.net :
" https://www.calculator.net/grade-calculator.html " to do a ballpark based on the grades you gave and you didnt say your weight of 2nd:3rd year for your classification so i put mine which is 10:90. the pictures is the results it gave me. To find out the weight of the remaining task (dissertation) you need to find the weighted average over two years and so just look at how i asked chat gpt in the pictures to calculate it . Basically look at what I type in the pictures and plug in the correct percentages and you'll know what you need to achieve in this dissertation for a 2:1.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 19.54.08.png

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 19.54.14.png

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 20.00.20.png

Good luck, please update if you feel like it
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Sam21x
I haven’t not done as well as I could have in my second and third year. I was capped at nearly all of my assignments in my second year & received an average of 40-55% in all of my assignments during third year. I am currently completing my dissertation but I’m losing hope because something in me just says what’s the point? I don’t want to give up, I really don’t but I have lots of pressure to achieve a good grade and really want to end up with a 2.1 so I wanted to ask for advise & whether it is possible or not. My dissertation is worth 40% of this years mark so is this still achievable if I do really well in my dissertation?

40-55% is a pretty big range - that's one and a half grade boundaries, effectively, so it's hard to gauge whether that's "mostly 55% and a few 40%" or "mostly 40% and a few 55%" - both of which would give very different mean averages. We also don't know how much your second year is weighted relative to your third year. So it's not possible to determine exactly what you would need to get in your dissertation to potentially get a 2:1 with the information provided.

Whether it's realistic is a different question to whether it's possible though - you may need to manage your expectations in that regard. Have you discussed this with your personal tutor?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by thatoneone
My advice would be to get a realistic look at what grade your dissertation needs to achieve a 2:1. I used a site called calculator.net :
Reply 4
" https://www.calculator.net/grade-calculator.html " to do a ballpark based on the grades you gave and you didnt say your weight of 2nd:3rd year for your classification so i put mine which is 10:90. the pictures is the results it gave me. To find out the weight of the remaining task (dissertation) you need to find the weighted average over two years and so just look at how i asked chat gpt in the pictures to calculate it . Basically look at what I type in the pictures and plug in the correct percentages and you'll know what you need to achieve in this dissertation for a 2:1.

Hiya, thank you so much for your help! I’m pretty sure my second year weighs around 20% (I’ll double check once someone responds) and I received an email from my tutor today stating that my dissertation weighs 40% of my third year so I’m just trying to figure everything out. I’m not the best at this so any help would be very much appreciated!
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
40-55% is a pretty big range - that's one and a half grade boundaries, effectively, so it's hard to gauge whether that's "mostly 55% and a few 40%" or "mostly 40% and a few 55%" - both of which would give very different mean averages. We also don't know how much your second year is weighted relative to your third year. So it's not possible to determine exactly what you would need to get in your dissertation to potentially get a 2:1 with the information provided.
Whether it's realistic is a different question to whether it's possible though - you may need to manage your expectations in that regard. Have you discussed this with your personal tutor?

Hi, my average in my second year was 42% and 50% in my third year. My second year weighs around 20% and my dissertation weighs 40% of my third year - however I’m not sure how much my third year weighs overall.
Reply 6
I’m not sure if I calculated it correct however it says that I have an average of 48. Does this mean that I’ll need to achieve 12% more to achieve a 60 which is a 2.1?
Original post by Sam21x
Hi, my average in my second year was 42% and 50% in my third year. My second year weighs around 20% and my dissertation weighs 40% of my third year - however I’m not sure how much my third year weighs overall.

Based on that I think you would need 87% in your dissertation to get a minimal 2:1. I think that's probably unrealistic as a goal, unless you have pending uncapped resits or some other factors unaccounted for (e.g. First year counts for some proportion of your result and you achieved very high marks there).

If you got 55% or above in the dissertation you get a 2.2 however which I think is fairly achievable if you are able to get down to things and focus on getting the dissertation sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest