The Student Room Group

University Lecturers

I’m curious to know if I emailed a lecturer of a university about a course or just overall advice on the course or what books to buy would they respond?
Are you a current student there?

If not, they’d likely forward it to the admin team for the academic department.
Original post by Amadou Diallo
I’m curious to know if I emailed a lecturer of a university about a course or just overall advice on the course or what books to buy would they respond?

Probably not. A lot don't even respond to their own students.

Hi @Amadou Diallo

Are you a student from their uni? If yes, then of course you can, they will be more than happy to help, I'm sure.
However, if you are not a student from their uni, I say it really depends on the lecturer and the type of person they are and maybe on the course they are associated with. For example, I think the MA course and Phd course lecturers are more likely to respond to outside emails because this is one of the points of contact for them anyway.
I would definitely advise you to try emailing, it will either get forwarded to the general inquiries department or you might actually get an answer if the question if for general sort of advice.

Best luck
Milena
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

If you’re a student at that university, then of course email them and they will be happy to support you with any questions you may have. You should be able to have access to reading list? The reading list should show which books that you should be reading for that module.

If you’re not a current student, I’m not sure if they will respond. However if you attend an Open Day or Decision day at that university, that would be a great opportunity to ask the lecturer about the course and any books that you may need to purchase (if you can’t access them online of for free).

I hope this helps!

Suzan - Student Ambassador
My lecturers often have a final slide to their powerpoint with their email on and telling you to email them if you have any questions about the content. I'd assume they'd respond to one of their own students.
Original post by Username123ab
My lecturers often have a final slide to their powerpoint with their email on and telling you to email them if you have any questions about the content. I'd assume they'd respond to one of their own students.

What they say they'll do and what they actually do can be two different things. Some even tell students not to email them, but at least those lecturers are being honest!
Hi @Amadou,

If you aren't currently studying at the university and have questions about the course, you might be best reaching out to the university course enquires team, you'll be able to find contact details for this team on the university website.

All the best,
Sarah
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
I tend to respond to.these sorts of external queries but I'd say the split is about 70 : 30 in terms of who doesn't reply and who does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending