The Student Room Group

am I being sensitive?

My parents went out and then came back and my mum goes to me 'I think you should get a new car now' being completely normal and I'm here like where did this come from?
Basically, my sister left her car here as she got married and she doesn't use it so she left her car for me and my mum to use. I have paid the whole insurance, I told my sister whenever she needs the car she can have it because it is hers. I have even offered her money for it, I don't understand why my mum is telling me to get a new 'nice' car. firstly, I don't even use the car much I go work her and there I barely use the car. But yeah, I just feel a bit upset like I don't even know why but I go to them since I paid for insurance when it finishes I will get a new car. Then they're like no no we're not saying to get a new car right now bla bra I know my mum wants a brand new expensive car but I don't.
So don’t get a new car.

Unless your mum was insisting that you couldn’t use your sisters car, yes this does come across as being a bit sensitive as it seems perfectly practical to keep the current arrangement.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
So don’t get a new car.
Unless your mum was insisting that you couldn’t use your sisters car, yes this does come across as being a bit sensitive as it seems perfectly practical to keep the current arrangement.

she didnt insist anything, they were just like oh you should get a new car. I am sensitive I know but im like why are they even asking me that. She was saying how my sister might need it back? I said okay then ill get my own car
Original post by Anonymous
she didnt insist anything, they were just like oh you should get a new car. I am sensitive I know but im like why are they even asking me that. She was saying how my sister might need it back? I said okay then ill get my own car

Is it presumptive of me to assume that your family is south Asian? I only suggest this as they are often very er, ‘focussed’ on outward appearances and maybe they find it a bit embarrassing for you to be car sharing.

As I said, it seems very sensible to share at the moment so I am not sure why you’d agree to get a new one even if it was just to put an end to the conversation. Hopefully just as quick to explain, “it’s suiting us both quite well and saving us money at the moment, so probably not”.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Is it presumptive of me to assume that your family is south Asian? I only suggest this as they are often very er, ‘focussed’ on outward appearances and maybe they find it a bit embarrassing for you to be car sharing.
As I said, it seems very sensible to share at the moment so I am not sure why you’d agree to get a new one even if it was just to put an end to the conversation. Hopefully just as quick to explain, “it’s suiting us both quite well and saving us money at the moment, so probably not”.

ts not much that, but its more like my mum wants a new car so that doesn't mean I wantone. im fine with sharing my sisters, im saying if my sister needs it back ill get myself a car
Original post by Anonymous
ts not much that, but its more like my mum wants a new car so that doesn't mean I wantone. im fine with sharing my sisters, im saying if my sister needs it back ill get myself a car

Sounds completely sensible to me.

Maybe mention what was said to your sister, so you can get her on your side a bit. Somtimes parents get these ideas but forget that you on a tighter budget than them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending