The Student Room Group

Help

Hi!

I’m just really anxious right now about GCSEs because I feel like I’ve been getting minimal revision done because of a horrible habit of procrastination on my phone ever day and I really want to get good grades (8s and 9s) because my mocks were kind of **** and there’s a ton of external pressure from both my school environment (full of overachievers) and my Asian background (full of even more overachievers). Not to mention personal Oxbridge aspirations.

For context, I’ve gotten about 20 hours every week since the start of the Easter holidays and about 2-4 hours per week on and off from January due to fatigue and just procrastinating in general. I was aiming for 8 hours a day (1 hour per subject) with 2 hours break in total, but I usually get less than half of that done.

My mock grades were:
Art 8 (I’m a hobbyist artist so I have an advantage)
Biology 6 (calculator ran out of battery)
Chemistry 7
English 4 ( really poor timing, missed like half of the paper)
English Literature 6
Geography 4
History 5
Mathematics 6
Physics 5
Spanish 4

An important side note is that I lose a lot of marks because I miss small details in my working in the questions, or in the question itself or I miss points that need to be mentioned in the mark scheme . I genuinely have no clue how to fix this and it’s frustrated me to no end.

This is like, a 2:00 am cry into the void for help?? Please be completely honest in the replies if you can help.
Original post by interlocking-pig
Hi!
I’m just really anxious right now about GCSEs because I feel like I’ve been getting minimal revision done because of a horrible habit of procrastination on my phone ever day and I really want to get good grades (8s and 9s) because my mocks were kind of **** and there’s a ton of external pressure from both my school environment (full of overachievers) and my Asian background (full of even more overachievers). Not to mention personal Oxbridge aspirations.
For context, I’ve gotten about 20 hours every week since the start of the Easter holidays and about 2-4 hours per week on and off from January due to fatigue and just procrastinating in general. I was aiming for 8 hours a day (1 hour per subject) with 2 hours break in total, but I usually get less than half of that done.
My mock grades were:
Art 8 (I’m a hobbyist artist so I have an advantage)
Biology 6 (calculator ran out of battery)
Chemistry 7
English 4 ( really poor timing, missed like half of the paper)
English Literature 6
Geography 4
History 5
Mathematics 6
Physics 5
Spanish 4
An important side note is that I lose a lot of marks because I miss small details in my working in the questions, or in the question itself or I miss points that need to be mentioned in the mark scheme . I genuinely have no clue how to fix this and it’s frustrated me to no end.
This is like, a 2:00 am cry into the void for help?? Please be completely honest in the replies if you can help.

Hi there,

I think it's important to acknowledge how many subjects you're doing and how much time there is in a day. There is only so much you can do, it's just about approaching it with the right mindset in the right way.

I would encourage you to do a revision timetable which will get you in better habits for revising. Maybe spend 10-15 minutes on each of your subjects just reviewing what you did that day (having a quick read of the content). The more you revisit things the better they sit in your memory. You also don't need to revise for hours and hours, it's better that the revision is impactful and meaningful rather than long and tasking.

You can always talk with your teachers about getting extra work as well if you feel that would help you more.

Best of luck with all your studies and just remember if you're trying your best that's all anybody can ever ask you for!

Ethan
Hi, don’t worry too much about how your family or school did, In the end it’s all about how you did.

I made a thread where people can ask me their questions about GCSE. You can check it out and see the other replies I’ve written to people.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7443508&p=99325726&page=7#post99325726
Original post by Yipiyap_EthanP
Hi there,
I think it's important to acknowledge how many subjects you're doing and how much time there is in a day. There is only so much you can do, it's just about approaching it with the right mindset in the right way.
I would encourage you to do a revision timetable which will get you in better habits for revising. Maybe spend 10-15 minutes on each of your subjects just reviewing what you did that day (having a quick read of the content). The more you revisit things the better they sit in your memory. You also don't need to revise for hours and hours, it's better that the revision is impactful and meaningful rather than long and tasking.
You can always talk with your teachers about getting extra work as well if you feel that would help you more.
Best of luck with all your studies and just remember if you're trying your best that's all anybody can ever ask you for!
Ethan

Hey, thank you so much for this it’s genuinely really helpful, I’ll try implementing this stuff.

This post was written in a panic-filled sleep deprived mania, I feel much better now lmao.
Original post by kitty15
Hi, don’t worry too much about how your family or school did, In the end it’s all about how you did.
I made a thread where people can ask me their questions about GCSE. You can check it out and see the other replies I’ve written to people.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7443508&p=99325726&page=7#post99325726

Thank you so much, this helps.
Original post by interlocking-pig
Hey, thank you so much for this it’s genuinely really helpful, I’ll try implementing this stuff.
This post was written in a panic-filled sleep deprived mania, I feel much better now lmao.

Glad to hear you're feeling better about things!

Good luck with all your studies and just remember if you're trying your best that's all anybody, including yourself, can ask for.

Quick Reply

Latest