The Student Room Group

Sit exams in May or August?

Hi everyone,

I’m currently stuck between choosing whether to sit my final year law exams in May, or to sit them during August. I have a 12k dissertation due in about 20 days, and I am nowhere near completion due to a lot of personal circumstances. I have also not revised for my exams. I have ADHD and I’m unmedicated so another big issue is procrastination, (I should have medication soon)

I have the option of sitting exams in May, and hoping I can put my head down now and try to knock both out of the park. Or giving myself more time and getting an extension on the dissertation, and giving myself more time to revise for my exams.

The pros for sitting my exams in august are giving myself more time and therefore a higher chance of obtaining a higher degree classification. The cons are not graduating with my friends and everyone else, and having to take a gap year instead of applying for a masters right after. but I can use this year for work experience. I don’t really feel like delaying my exams and I’d like to get them over and done with and not be behind everyone else, but I do think the wiser decision is pushing them back.

I’d be open to any advice!
Original post by midnightreading
Hi everyone,
I’m currently stuck between choosing whether to sit my final year law exams in May, or to sit them during August. I have a 12k dissertation due in about 20 days, and I am nowhere near completion due to a lot of personal circumstances. I have also not revised for my exams. I have ADHD and I’m unmedicated so another big issue is procrastination, (I should have medication soon)
I have the option of sitting exams in May, and hoping I can put my head down now and try to knock both out of the park. Or giving myself more time and getting an extension on the dissertation, and giving myself more time to revise for my exams.
The pros for sitting my exams in august are giving myself more time and therefore a higher chance of obtaining a higher degree classification. The cons are not graduating with my friends and everyone else, and having to take a gap year instead of applying for a masters right after. but I can use this year for work experience. I don’t really feel like delaying my exams and I’d like to get them over and done with and not be behind everyone else, but I do think the wiser decision is pushing them back.

Hey there,

It sounds like you're in a tough spot with your final-year exams and dissertation. It's understandable to feel overwhelmed, especially with personal circumstances and ADHD, to manage on top of everything.

First, take a moment to assess your progress with your dissertation and exam prep. How much progress have you made, and do you feel ready for both? Let's say you decide to take your exams in May. I suggest you make a note of your progress until now. Then, list out the rest of the things that need to be done and allocate time to each of them (for both diss and exams). Now assess if achieving it is possible because only you can do that. Make sure to give enough breaks and time to relax. I believe doing this will give you a clear view of your problem, and help you plan it accordingly.

Considering your mental health is key here. Dealing with ADHD without medication can be really challenging, so make sure you're prioritizing your well-being. Have you looked into support services at your uni? They might have resources for students with ADHD or mental health challenges that could help.

Also, think about your long-term goals. Delaying your exams might not be ideal socially, but it could mean a higher degree classification and a chance to gain work experience during a gap year.
Ultimately, do what feels right for you and your situation. Don't hesitate to ask advisors or faculty members for guidance. Please feel free to reach out! You got this.

Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Student).
Hi everyone,

@midnightreading

We are already in April! It's May next month! It's not a lot of time to complete a 12,000 word dissertation in addition to revising for final year law exams. As frustrating as it may feel to not graduate with your friends, it is most probably better for your long term interests to do your exams in August. This will give you a bit of a break from your dissertation and time to focus on your exams.

It would be great to get everything done now, but realistically it would be a lot of stress and pressure on you and if it doesn't go to plan, then you will feel really frustrated with yourself for not having given yourself a better chance of doing better in your exams. If things don't go as well as you would like in August (though hopefully everything will be fine whenever you take the exams!) at least you will know that it wasn't because you didn't have enough time to revise.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@midnightreading
We are already in April! It's May next month! It's not a lot of time to complete a 12,000 word dissertation in addition to revising for final year law exams. As frustrating as it may feel to not graduate with your friends, it is most probably better for your long term interests to do your exams in August. This will give you a bit of a break from your dissertation and time to focus on your exams.
It would be great to get everything done now, but realistically it would be a lot of stress and pressure on you and if it doesn't go to plan, then you will feel really frustrated with yourself for not having given yourself a better chance of doing better in your exams. If things don't go as well as you would like in August (though hopefully everything will be fine whenever you take the exams!) at least you will know that it wasn't because you didn't have enough time to revise.
All the best,
Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

This is great advice, thank you!
Original post by Heriot-Watt Uni
Hey there,
It sounds like you're in a tough spot with your final-year exams and dissertation. It's understandable to feel overwhelmed, especially with personal circumstances and ADHD, to manage on top of everything.
First, take a moment to assess your progress with your dissertation and exam prep. How much progress have you made, and do you feel ready for both? Let's say you decide to take your exams in May. I suggest you make a note of your progress until now. Then, list out the rest of the things that need to be done and allocate time to each of them (for both diss and exams). Now assess if achieving it is possible because only you can do that. Make sure to give enough breaks and time to relax. I believe doing this will give you a clear view of your problem, and help you plan it accordingly.
Considering your mental health is key here. Dealing with ADHD without medication can be really challenging, so make sure you're prioritizing your well-being. Have you looked into support services at your uni? They might have resources for students with ADHD or mental health challenges that could help.
Also, think about your long-term goals. Delaying your exams might not be ideal socially, but it could mean a higher degree classification and a chance to gain work experience during a gap year.
Ultimately, do what feels right for you and your situation. Don't hesitate to ask advisors or faculty members for guidance. Please feel free to reach out! You got this.
Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Student).

Thank you so much, I will heed your advice!
Hi everyone,

Hi there,

This sounds like a tough situation that you are in.

I would say that after being at university for all of this time, you need to give yourself the best opportunity to do as well as you can do. If you feel you are ready for your exams in May, this is your choice, but personally I would sit them in August to give yourself the best chance to achieving what you are capable of.

This would give you more time, as it is only a month until May! And, it would allow you to focus on your dissertation which is important for you too. While it seems like a great idea to get them both done sooner rather than later, you need to think about whether it is realistic or not!

Good luck and I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest