The Student Room Group

Using old work reference for UCAS application

I work freelance, and for many different people and so wondered if it is ok to use a work reference from about 4 years ago when I worked more consistently for one person who knows me and my abilities well? I worked for them for a few years. Would this be seen as a red flag by the unis not to use someone more recent? Should I explain it to them?

(I’m applying for some very competitive courses at very competitive unis, if that makes any difference.)

Thanks.
(edited 1 month ago)
Is your work relevant to the course you’re applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Is your work relevant to the course you’re applying for?

It has transferable skills to the degree, and I mention it in my personal statement quite a bit.

I was worried that if I don’t give a reference, they might have doubts because I have just put that I’m freelance on my employment history and put myself as the employer, so there’s no reference.

To clarify: I have already submitted my application (before the deadline), I’m just considering whether to send the reference as additional information now.
(edited 1 month ago)
It should be alright but some universities like UCL expect an academic reference and not a work reference. Make sure to check that beforehand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending