The Student Room Group

Civil Service Analyst role or Azure cyber security role

Hey folks,
I got two job offers, one from Civil service and the other from a private firm. The pay is more or less the same but the pension is awesome within civil service.

Cybersecurity in the cloud is an area that is growing and it looks great as far as career advancement is concerned, but the issue is that there are constant layoffs in tech and specifically from the private company which has offered me the job, as it laid off many people last year.

I do not want to make the wrong decisions and get laid off down the line, and thus would appreciate your input and views regarding the two pathways. In Civil Service, there is stability but is it possible to progress easily to other departments and work in cybersecurity? I went through the interview process and vetting is ongoing and to be honest, it's not a pleasant process to go through.

Let me know your thoughts.
I cant talk about the private sector with you. But in the public service:

Its an unwritten rule that its a job for life. It is so difficult to be let go. I know someone who had her probation extended to 18 months because of poor performance with basic tasks, they still didnt let her go!

The pension speaks for itself. I have picked up more from HO contributions in the last year than I have put in my pension for the last 5 years!

Progression can happen, and when (like me) you find a bottleneck, you can switch departments to help you find the route for progression.

Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by NYCSavage
I cant talk about the private sector with you. But in the public service:

Its an unwritten rule that its a job for life. It is so difficult to be let go. I know someone who had her probation extended to 18 months because of poor performance with basic tasks, they still didnt let her go!

The pension speaks for itself. I have picked up more from HO contributions in the last year than I have put in my pension for the last 5 years!

Progression can happen, and when (like me) you find a bottleneck, you can switch departments to help you find the route for progression.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the input, it will come in handy as I explore my options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending