The Student Room Group

Guildhall Electronic & Produced Music BMus

I am wondering what is the journey of getting into Guildhall for electronic & produced music like.. What are they looking for in a portfolio? What is the interview process like? Any information in regards to this course would be greatly appreciated!!
From my own experience. The audition process was a lot more calmer than I thought. In terms of an portfolio they're looking to see if you're capable for the course. Don't prioritize mixing or mastering as that's completely the opposite to what they're looking for. Include multiple genres and avoid anything linear. Linear would be, ''typical music you hear at a gym'', that type of royalty free sound. For the interview they give you a task and they tell you in advance what they are looking for. Its very literal 😭, i overthought it only for them to ask for my interpretation saying there were no wrong answers. Other than that, It was a very chill interview. From what I heard they don't have a limit on who they choose, your classes are very small at that. So don't approach it from the mindset of, ''I need to stand out'', once your through the portfolio stage just keep going and your genuine interest will show. Also it's not about grades when applying i wouldn't worry. (i kept this very vague by the way because i believe everyone's personal task was personalised lols, sorry about that)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonsorry
From my own experience. The audition process was a lot more calmer than I thought. In terms of an portfolio they're looking to see if you're capable for the course. Don't prioritize mixing or mastering as that's completely the opposite to what they're looking for. Include multiple genres and avoid anything linear. Linear would be, ''typical music you hear at a gym'', that type of royalty free sound. For the interview they give you a task and they tell you in advance what they are looking for. Its very literal 😭, i overthought it only for them to ask for my interpretation saying there were no wrong answers. Other than that, It was a very chill interview. From what I heard they don't have a limit on who they choose, your classes are very small at that. So don't approach it from the mindset of, ''I need to stand out'', once your through the portfolio stage just keep going and your genuine interest will show. Also it's not about grades when applying i wouldn't worry. (i kept this very vague by the way because i believe everyone's personal task was personalised lols, sorry about that)

Thanks for the reply - I really really appreciate it! Can I ask if you got in? And if you went to guildhall what was your principal study, how are you enjoying it? Are the facilities and teachers good?
Original post by zombiej
Thanks for the reply - I really really appreciate it! Can I ask if you got in? And if you went to guildhall what was your principal study, how are you enjoying it? Are the facilities and teachers good?

no clue yet, just got in!
congrats on your acceptance! Im considering applying either this year or after a gap year the course looks amazing, is there any chance you could send me something from your portfolio for reference? i would greatly appreciate it as im trying to gauge how realistic it would be for me to get in so i can plan ahead properly as theres very little information online about what they expect/yearly intake that sort of thing and im a total outsider to all those institutions (im from cornwall)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending