The Student Room Group

A level Privately

Hey, i am a student that is doing A-level German and BTEC Business and Applied science at a sixth form. I want to do A-level Maths and Physics but I have to do that as a private candidate.

Do I have to tell my sixth form that I want to do A level Maths and Physics privately?

Do I also have to do good in all my subject that I chose at my sixth form and the private subject (Maths and Physics)?

Also how would I approach the university and ask them a place for me with the Private subject.(am really interested in Mechanical Engineering )
Original post by LPG_12134
Hey, i am a student that is doing A-level German and BTEC Business and Applied science at a sixth form. I want to do A-level Maths and Physics but I have to do that as a private candidate.
Do I have to tell my sixth form that I want to do A level Maths and Physics privately?
Do I also have to do good in all my subject that I chose at my sixth form and the private subject (Maths and Physics)?
Also how would I approach the university and ask them a place for me with the Private subject.(am really interested in Mechanical Engineering )

So did you wish to do German, BTEC business and applied science, maths and physics, at the same time?
Or do German, maths and physics?
Are you unable to change the BTEC for maths + physics?
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
So did you wish to do German, BTEC business and applied science, maths and physics, at the same time?
Or do German, maths and physics?
Are you unable to change the BTEC for maths + physics?

I wanted to do German,Maths and Physics but couldn’t do Maths because I got a grade 6 for maths and they wanted 7. They allowed me do Physics but I drop it because the teacher told me it would be hard without Maths but I think that was mistake doing that.
Hi, Im doing some private subjects alongside my school subjects this year, I let my school know simply because I will be sitting my exams there. It saves a lot on the costs of private exam halls, but if youre not involving the school for taking the exams then I dont see any reason the school would need to know. However, it is a lot cheaper and easier to be entered for your A level exams via your school. Saves a lot of paperwork
Reply 4
Original post by daisy.akane
Hi, Im doing some private subjects alongside my school subjects this year, I let my school know simply because I will be sitting my exams there. It saves a lot on the costs of private exam halls, but if youre not involving the school for taking the exams then I dont see any reason the school would need to know. However, it is a lot cheaper and easier to be entered for your A level exams via your school. Saves a lot of paperwork

What should I tell the school?

also have you applied to any Universities and if you have are the chosen course related to your private subjects?
What should I tell the school?
also have you applied to any Universities and if you have are the chosen course related to your private subjects?

Just let them know youre studying the syllabus privately and ask if you can sit the exams at school if thats what youd like to do.

i applied to uni this year and got in for a few places for Architecture. Im taking art and physics privately so yes, both are related. I think it is a bit of a disadvantage that they cannot see your predicted grades (since you will not be being assessed) but maybe applying after you have your grades will be easier
Reply 6
Just let them know youre studying the syllabus privately and ask if you can sit the exams at school if thats what youd like to do.
i applied to uni this year and got in for a few places for Architecture. Im taking art and physics privately so yes, both are related. I think it is a bit of a disadvantage that they cannot see your predicted grades (since you will not be being assessed) but maybe applying after you have your grades will be easier

Does that mean you have to a gap year just to apply to university or do I have to do clearing
(edited 2 months ago)
Does that mean you have to a gap year just to apply to university or do I have to do clearing

I still got an offer for this year that I’m quite happy with (Architecture at Newcastle), but I think if you’re aiming for a top uni or a course that requires a specific grade from your private subject. I also applied to Cambridge for example, and I was just rejected very quickly because it is so competitive and others will be able to show predicted grades.

Another eg; for architecture at ncl, requirements are maths and art, and physics is just suggested but not essential. Therefore, having no predicted grade for physics probably was less damaging than if it was for maths. But this is just in my case :smile:
Reply 8
I still got an offer for this year that I’m quite happy with (Architecture at Newcastle), but I think if you’re aiming for a top uni or a course that requires a specific grade from your private subject. I also applied to Cambridge for example, and I was just rejected very quickly because it is so competitive and others will be able to show predicted grades.
Another eg; for architecture at ncl, requirements are maths and art, and physics is just suggested but not essential. Therefore, having no predicted grade for physics probably was less damaging than if it was for maths. But this is just in my case :smile:

That you received an offer from Newcastle University is great. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to all of my questions; they were really helpful in helping me figure out things and also Good Luck in your 2024 A-level Exam.

Just to note that doing an A-Level privately would be a perfectly satisfactory reason to not have a predicted grade. They wouldn't penalise you for this.
Reply 10
Original post by melancollege
Just to note that doing an A-Level privately would be a perfectly satisfactory reason to not have a predicted grade. They wouldn't penalise you for this.

So if the University knows that I am doing an A-level privately, and I need that A-level to do the course in University, would I still be able to get into that University in the same year after I did my A-levels?
I wanted to do German,Maths and Physics but couldn’t do Maths because I got a grade 6 for maths and they wanted 7. They allowed me do Physics but I drop it because the teacher told me it would be hard without Maths but I think that was mistake doing that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending