The Student Room Group

OCR - Religious Studies

Hi, any revision tips for philosophy, ethics or dct. Development in christian thought is my worst paper and im hoping to raise my grade to an A* this summer while currently working art a B. Please help!
Hey, are you in year 12 or 13? I'm currently in year 13 and what I do is use I think therefore I teach and make a mindmap on her videos. I then do essays based on the topic and use this website https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/ocr-religious-studies/ to further develop my knowledge. I'll make flashcards on the mindmaps if it is really content heavy and do regular exam questions every week and give to my teacher to mark, Re- write your mocks with the feedback and nag your teachers!!! DCT is also my weaker one but what I'm doing for all of them is I've printed the spec and I create essay plans for each point in the spec for example, in philosophy in soul, mind and body it says under key knowledge, 'Plato's view of the soul as the essential and immaterial part of a human...'. I will then do an essay plan with the title 'Assess Plato's view of the soul' and use the key knowledge they want and use my mindmaps and flashcards to build it, this essay title is so useful as it basically covers the entire AO1 and AO2 of that subtopic. Then the spec basically gives you possible exam questions for example, in the section of the soul it says ' materialist critiques of dualism, and dualist responses to materialism' and I'll answer them or use the link above as it categorises essays as easy, medium and hard and makes all the possible combinations. I know I used philosophy but it easily applied for DCT, it's just because I had my philosophy spec on me! Hope it makes sense and I wish you all the best
Reply 2
Original post by Florence_6791
Hey, are you in year 12 or 13? I'm currently in year 13 and what I do is use I think therefore I teach and make a mindmap on her videos. I then do essays based on the topic and use this website https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/ocr-religious-studies/ to further develop my knowledge. I'll make flashcards on the mindmaps if it is really content heavy and do regular exam questions every week and give to my teacher to mark, Re- write your mocks with the feedback and nag your teachers!!! DCT is also my weaker one but what I'm doing for all of them is I've printed the spec and I create essay plans for each point in the spec for example, in philosophy in soul, mind and body it says under key knowledge, 'Plato's view of the soul as the essential and immaterial part of a human...'. I will then do an essay plan with the title 'Assess Plato's view of the soul' and use the key knowledge they want and use my mindmaps and flashcards to build it, this essay title is so useful as it basically covers the entire AO1 and AO2 of that subtopic. Then the spec basically gives you possible exam questions for example, in the section of the soul it says ' materialist critiques of dualism, and dualist responses to materialism' and I'll answer them or use the link above as it categorises essays as easy, medium and hard and makes all the possible combinations. I know I used philosophy but it easily applied for DCT, it's just because I had my philosophy spec on me! Hope it makes sense and I wish you all the best

I'm in year 13 - For my recent DCT mock I did the exact same thing (essay plans from the spec) and only ended up with a C and I was quite disappointed.
Do you use the same techniques for ethics?
I really want to get an A* in this subject, do you think its possible in this little time left?
Original post by nessa17
I'm in year 13 - For my recent DCT mock I did the exact same thing (essay plans from the spec) and only ended up with a C and I was quite disappointed.
Do you use the same techniques for ethics?
I really want to get an A* in this subject, do you think its possible in this little time left?
I think anyone can improve their grades but ultimately it depends on your exam technique. I’ll be happy to check out an exam question of yours if you want! I’m not an expert or anything but sometimes having someone else to review your work can be really helpful. I think try and pinpoint what it actually is you’re struggling with and then combat that. For example, I don’t necessarily struggle with essay structure instead I struggle with the sheer amount of content so that’s where I focus on and ofc trying to right as many essays possible! But I’d be happy to read yours if you want!
Reply 4
Could u help with exam technique?
Also AO2 is 24 marks, how do I maximise this
Original post by nessa17
Could u help with exam technique?
Also AO2 is 24 marks, how do I maximise this

I'd happily help you with exam technique please share an answer!
Reply 6
I'd happily help you with exam technique please share an answer!

How convincing are Augustine’s teachings on the historical Fall and Original Sin?

Much of St Augustine’s theology is concerned with human nature. He attempted to find out whether humans are essentially good or evil by using means at his disposal. Augustine claims that there is a human nature which is corrupted by original sin. This essay will argue that Augustine’s teachings on the Fall and original sin is unconvincing.

Augustine stated that the human will before the fall was a time of when humans enjoyed harmony. Harmony was expressed in the complete obedience of Adam and Eve to God. According to Augustine, it is also a time when the human body, will and reason are in complete co-operation with each other. The word ‘will’ to Augustine meant a force pulling is in different directions, determining the kind of person we are. The will is driven by cupiditas (self-love) and caritas (generous love). Additionally, within the time of the Fall, Augustine argued that Adam and Eve were married as friends so they could follow God’s command to be ‘fruitful and multiply.’ Sex was always considered as secondary to friendship as friendship is the highest expression of human existence.

Augustine’s teachings on the Fall are unconvincing as many people do not take Augustine’s understanding of the Fall literally. It would be more appealing of an argument if Augustine had interpretated Genesis in a more metaphorical way, this then would give the human tendency to disobey God still having value. Textual analysis of Genesis suggests different authors, therefore, it is less likely to be true if taken literally like Augustine does. Original sin has had an impact on human beings due to us being able to have free will. This gives us an inclination to do bad things causing moral evil to exist.

The post-Lapsarisan world is the fallen world. Augustine states that this is a continuous rebellious state of the will. There is a lack of control that the rational soul has over sin. However, as we may be corrupt as humans this simply may have not come from the Fall. The argument that we were seminally present through Adam during the Fall and therefore continuing his sin has been denounced by scientific advancements and evolution as it is possible neither Adam nor Eve existed. Dawkins supported the argument that humans may just have a preserve obsession with the idea of sin. The idea of the transmission of sin is also limited as this states the original act of disobedience is transmitted by a ‘chain of disasters.’ This gives an illogical idea that every act of sexual intercourse is tainted by concupiscence (sexual lust) so therefore this means every human is born in sin.

Overall, after having analysed all the evidence, Augustine’s teachings on original sin and the Fall are unconvincing as it is illogical today. Religion no longer dominates; therefore, this means that less people follow religious teachings and believe that Genesis is real. Furthermore, scientific explanations are viewed to be more logical and easier to understand due to advances in technology. It is unlikely that we became corrupt from the Fall as there are many more ideological ideas that could explain why humans are corrupt today, e.g., evolution. Therefore, Augustine’s teachings on original sin and the Fall are unconvincing.

Thankyou for willing to help. I got 21/40 on this essay.
(edited 1 month ago)
I've attached my feedback below. Please let me know if the link doesn't work, and I'll email it to you if you'd prefer. I apologise for how much I wrote. It is like a booklet, lol, but I've included my response to it, my essay structure, paragraph-by-paragraph annotation and highlights, so yeah. I hope it is helpful. Feel free to let me know if you need anything explained. Also, it is probably a lot and might not work for you as I am not a teacher, but the tips I gave are something you can incorporate into your style!

Edit: Omg the link I gave didn't work, do you mind sending an email
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 8
I've attached my feedback below. Please let me know if the link doesn't work, and I'll email it to you if you'd prefer. I apologise for how much I wrote. It is like a booklet, lol, but I've included my response to it, my essay structure, paragraph-by-paragraph annotation and highlights, so yeah. I hope it is helpful. Feel free to let me know if you need anything explained. Also, it is probably a lot and might not work for you as I am not a teacher, but the tips I gave are something you can incorporate into your style!
Edit: Omg the link I gave didn't work, do you mind sending an email

Yeah sure its [email protected]
Thankuu smmm
Original post by nessa17
Yeah sure its [email protected]
Thankuu smmm

sent:smile:

Hey are you currently at an A*? If so could you possibly send a high marking essay on here, if you don’t mind of course. I’m on an A and I think my issue is exam technique.
hi, does anyone have suggestions on what to focus on? essay plans or learning AO1
Original post by tanyaarora
hi, does anyone have suggestions on what to focus on? essay plans or learning AO1

Id say essay plans but you do need ao1. I’d do a 60/40 split but it depends if you struggle remembering content or exam technique
Original post by abc1234!
Hey are you currently at an A*? If so could you possibly send a high marking essay on here, if you don’t mind of course. I’m on an A and I think my issue is exam technique.

Hi, I am currently on an A* but I am not a teacher or anything and an A is still really good. I tend to write all my essays but I typed the following one, in which I got 37/40. My teacher said to improve I should makemy intro more concised and when explaining scholarly views to be more direct when stating that they are scholarly views so it is easier for the examiner to reference. I also think I could expand and debate my scholarly views more but this essay was done during my mocks so I wasn't really thinking in the moment.

‘For the husband is the head of the wife just as Christ is head of the Church’ Critically assesses this teaching for 21st-century family life.

In order to establish an appropriate argument in light of this statement, one must understand how this quote from Ephesians has been utilised by the church predominately the Catholic church, and whether the teachings align with our increasingly secular society. This quote entails the normative approach that Christianity has over the roles of the husband and wife. It postulates that husbands are in charge of their wives and that a woman’s role is to submit. This quote has been utilised to establish gender roles in the family and determine women's role in representing the church. Whilst churches such as the Methodist church are progressing with modern society and allowing women to be ordained, the Catholic church refutes the ordaining of women and claims that Christ was the head of the church and male- evidently using Ephesians. This has sparked a debate as to whether Christian teachings pertaining to gender roles can co-exist with 21st-century life, which includes the rise of ideologies stemming from secularism and feminism- which this essay will argue against.

Some theologians argue that the Ephesians teaching can coexist with the 21st century as Christ himself was a male; thus, it only makes sense for a man to represent the church and be head of the wife as it is a divine source from God himself. This is inconceivable, as feminists in the 21st century have been tackling the ongoing male-dominated patriarchal society that we live in. This has resulted in other churches feeling pressured to adjust their traditional teachings to meet the widely changing society and demands. For example, the Methodist church now allows women to be ordained and claims that ‘God calls out people, not gender’. This insinuates that the teachings cannot coexist with 21st-century views over women being submissive as even different denominations are gradually adapting their teachings to fit current society. This challenges the integrity of the teaching and Christianity as a whole because if they are changing their teachings, then was it a valid source of authority to begin with, and can it withstand the new libertarian ideologies of the 21st century?

Moreover, feminists would argue that the quote from Ephesians perpetuates injustice against women as it promotes the concept of women being inferior to men in the household. This reinforces how it cannot align with the 21st century when family dynamics deviate from the classical nuclear family. For example, women need to work as a means to survive, and in some cases, men are staying at home to care for the children. This suggests that the teaching is meaningless when it comes to applying it to our modern secular society. Furthermore, Daly would argue that Christianity does promote inequality against women, as biblical teachings constantly undermine women. This reaffirms how the Ephesian's teaching is not compatible with modern-day women and is groundless in our 21st century.

However, one could argue that this quote was revolutionary for its time and holds value in our modern-day society. This is because, if we expand the quote to ‘For the husband is the head of the Church… and the husband should love the wife just as Christ loved the church’. This was arguably revolutionary when this teaching was revealed, as husbands treated women as commodities that could be easily discarded. To command men in a purely patriarchal society to care for their wives on the same scale as Christ cared for the church is immense and arguably adopts some feminist values. Cahill argued that the Bible was extraordinary for its time and was actually liberating for women, as men tended to have concubines. This indicates that the teaching should be respected in the 21st century for its impact on supporting women during that era.

However, this is quickly dismissed in John Paul II’s attempt to refute the claim that the Bible is sexist in his works, Mulieris Dignitatem. In his letter, he argues that the bible isn't sexist as God created ‘man and women in his image’ and gave them complimentary roles that are different but equal in worth. Whilst this may not seem contentious, he goes on to suggest that women are passive in pregnancy in comparison to men and her virginity and chastity are her greatest gifts. This is undeniably inherently sexist and isn't compatible with 21st-century family life. This is because the pope is objectifying women and reducing their entire existence and nature down to virginity. Essentially making them nothing but passive beings; this suggests that the pope’s attempts to reconcile the church with the challenge of secularism are meaningless as all it is doing is further perpetuating the claim that women are inferior and should be submissive.

To conclude, whilst the quote may be revolutionary during its time, it is not revolutionary in 21st-century family life, where family dynamics have significantly changed. Feminists are constantly tackling the sexism imposed by the patriarchy. It cannot be applied when church denominations recognise the challenges and adapt their teachings to fit the secular challenges.
Original post by nessa17
Hi, any revision tips for philosophy, ethics or dct. Development in christian thought is my worst paper and im hoping to raise my grade to an A* this summer while currently working art a B. Please help!

I got an A (12 marks off an A) but got an A* in my mocks. I am at uni now but have all my essays and notes if you need help feel free to message me!
hi, for some reason i cant private message on here but I was wondering what you think is the best thing to do in this time. like what should we focus on?
I got an A* last yea and I was in a similar position. I barely revised and just crammed last minute. I literally just made essay plans based on the man schemes award marks and memorised them. I still have those essay plans and would be happy to help just get in touch to my insta aj.s04
Reply 17
Original post by Amsingh25
I got an A* last yea and I was in a similar position. I barely revised and just crammed last minute. I literally just made essay plans based on the man schemes award marks and memorised them. I still have those essay plans and would be happy to help just get in touch to my insta aj.s04

Hi I have got in touch on IG- my name is @coragane_

Quick Reply

Latest