The Student Room Group

Psychology WEX

I’m in year 12, studying bio, chem, and psych. Currently looking for work experience and running out of time. I want to study psychology at university. Anyone who is doing this, what work experience did you do? Was it in the psychology field? I’m really struggling as there aren’t many psychology opportunities in my area, and I’m wondering if there are any alternatives.
Reply 1
You don't need to have work experience to get into any uni for psychology! Look on https://www.springpod.com/virtual-work-experience if you really want to do something. You could work at an art/music group or volunteer at a care home and then talk about this in your personal statement by linking it to art/music therapy which is what I did.
Original post by sophiawilkinson
I’m in year 12, studying bio, chem, and psych. Currently looking for work experience and running out of time. I want to study psychology at university. Anyone who is doing this, what work experience did you do? Was it in the psychology field? I’m really struggling as there aren’t many psychology opportunities in my area, and I’m wondering if there are any alternatives.

Hi Sophia.

I’m Lily a second year psychology student at university at ARU in Cambridge.

To get into psychology at university no experience was needed, just UCAs points.
But I am not currently volunteering at MIND, as a support facilitator for feeling well courses. This is really beneficial as an insight into the field if that’s what you wanted to get into, as well as fitting round my course really well. It also is online so works well as I don’t need to commute so can fit even easier round my schedule.

If you pursue psychology degrees work experience or volunteering is recommended. So I would recommend looking online for any opportunities by searching in your area, and as you pointed out this has been hard so maybe look at remote opportunities as well.

If there’s any other questions please let me know.

Lily
ARU Student Ambassador
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ARUStudents
Hi Sophia.
I’m Lily a second year psychology student at university at ARU in Cambridge.
To get into psychology at university no experience was needed, just UCAs points.
But I am not currently volunteering at MIND, a sa support facilitator for feeling well courses. This is really beneficial as an insight into the field if that’s what you wanted to get into, as well as fitting round my course really well. It also is online so works well as I don’t need to commute so can fit even easier round my schedule.
If you pursue psychology degrees work experience or volunteering is recommended. So I would recommend looking online for any opportunities by searching in your area, and as you pointed out this has been hard so maybe look at remote opportunities as well.
If there’s any other questions please let me know.
Lily
ARU Student Ambassador

Thank you so much!
Original post by sadrien
You don't need to have work experience to get into any uni for psychology! Look on https://www.springpod.com/virtual-work-experience if you really want to do something. You could work at an art/music group or volunteer at a care home and then talk about this in your personal statement by linking it to art/music therapy which is what I did.

That’s amazing, thank you so much!
Reply 5
Volunteer in a care-home, special school, homeless shelter, food-bank or charity shop - anywhere where you have to talk to people outside your usual environment.

Then listen to some of these podcasts - BBC Radio 4 - All in the Mind - Available now
Some solid advice posted on this thread.

Work experience specific to psychology is virtually impossible to find in sixth form, but that's alright because as others have said, you don't need it.

People often think of psychology as just the bit that actually deals with people but psychology is an academic subject in university. If you actually want to become a psychologist, you'll study more after the degree. Once you're doing your degree is a great time to get relevant psychological experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending