The Student Room Group

Is doing an Industrial Placement worth it?

I’m planning on doing chemistry at university and most places offer an industrial placement year with it. What does this actually entail and is it worth it to anyone who knows much about it? Tysm
Original post by mnakra
I’m planning on doing chemistry at university and most places offer an industrial placement year with it. What does this actually entail and is it worth it to anyone who knows much about it? Tysm

It's a year working [paid] for a company and getting work experience. It makes gatting your first job a whole lot easier.
YES.

What employers want is 'relevant experience'.
When you graduate, you will be competing with all other Chem grads for a small pool of graduate jobs.
Anything that puts you further up the 'interview this one' list, counts.
And many students get their first job from their placement employer.

Why do a placement | Sheffield Hallam University (shu.ac.uk)
Work placements - School of Arts, Languages and Cultures - The University of Manchester
Improve your employability with a Bath placement
Etc, etc.
Hi there,

An industrial placement year in a chemistry degree typically involves spending a full year working within a company related to or in the chemical industry. This placement is integrated into your course and usually takes palce between your second and final year of university.

There's many factors you can expect from an industrial placement year. Firstly, you will gain hands-on experience in a commercial lab environment and work on actual projects. Secondly, some placements are paid which provides you with an income stream during your year in the industry. Thirdly, the skills you develop and experience you gain during your placement are not only relevant to chemistry but are also valuable in a wide range of career opportunities. Subsequently, having industrial experience can make you more attractive to future employers and may even lead to immediate job offers upon graduation. Finally, the placement year counts towards your degree, with some universities offering an additional qualification for the placement itself.

Therefore, whether an industrial placement year is worth it depends on your career goals and interests. If you’re looking to gain practical experience, understand the industry better and improve your job prospects after graduation, it can be a valuable opportunity. Lastly, it’s also a chance to apply your academic knowledge in a real-world setting and see which areas of chemistry you are most passionate about.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
I did a placement year on my degree and I found it to be beneficial as it gave me invaluable experience in my sector and also helped with graduate job applications.

While getting a placement can be as competitive as getting a graduate role, it will give you something to talk about on graduate applications that will make you stand out in a competitive job market.

You will need to start applying around September of the academic year before you want to start your placement e.g. if you are wanting to do a placement in your 3rd year, you would need to start applying at the beginning of 2nd year. The applications can be quite time-consuming and you have to be committed to applying to get a placement. Like any other job application, you will likely have to answer application questions or write a cover letter; you should research the company and the role first and tailor your response to this. You then may go through some form of psychometric testing, which will usually be a timed test of some sort. If you get past this, you will then get invited to some form of interview and there may be multiple rounds of this. Yes, it is a lot of work, especially when applying for multiple companies with a tedious application process. I remember having several interviews on the same day and meeting all the deadlines for different companies was tough.

It is also important that you learn from each application you do, your first one will likely not be perfect and you will get better and more streamlined as you go. Your university will likely have a careers/placement team to help you and utilise them as they will likely read cover letters and you can schedule mock interviews with them which you can get feedback for.

When you are on placement, you will be getting to take on a role in the industry and learn the skills that it takes to do the job in real life which you don't learn at university. You will also develop your soft-skills that are required in the workplace. Your university will also likely be in contact and there to support you if you have any issues on your placement year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending