The Student Room Group

A-Level English Literature essays

I'm in Year 13 studying English Literature on the Eduqas exam board. As part of my revision, I'm planning various essays for my texts (Eliot-Hardy, Chaucer, Loot-Revenger's, King Lear), and I was wondering if it would be okay if I only had two points in my essays? This is more about the drama essays as I find the poetry paper a bit easier, but I've been struggling with having under-developed points, and was thinking whether I would be punished by the markers for only having two points, which hopefully would be more developed. I'm aiming for a B in the final exams.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by pjf1215
I'm in Year 13 studying English Literature on the Eduqas exam board. As part of my revision, I'm planning various essays for my texts (Eliot-Hardy, Chaucer, Loot-Revenger's, King Lear), and I was wondering if it would be okay if I only had two points in my essays? This is more about the drama essays as I find the poetry paper a bit easier, but I've been struggling with having under-developed points, and was thinking whether I would be punished by the markers for only having two points, which hopefully would be more developed. I'm aiming for a B in the final exams.

the exam is literally tmrw i’ve just seen this eliot and hardy two points is fine the rest is say three
Reply 3
Original post by b_b101
the exam is literally tmrw i’ve just seen this eliot and hardy two points is fine the rest is say three

How did you find it yesterday?
Reply 4
Original post by pjf1215
How did you find it yesterday?

very mixed. i do john donne for part a and my 20 mark answer is definitely the worst one ive ever written. the 40 mark was ok nothing terrible. i did the question in pessimism for hardy and eliot and i had a lot to say i just wrote it in about 35 mins so im not entirely sure if was my best work. how was it for you
Reply 5
Original post by b_b101
very mixed. i do john donne for part a and my 20 mark answer is definitely the worst one ive ever written. the 40 mark was ok nothing terrible. i did the question in pessimism for hardy and eliot and i had a lot to say i just wrote it in about 35 mins so im not entirely sure if was my best work. how was it for you

Sort of similar, I do Chaucer for Part A, and yeah the extract was whack, and the whole text essay was very mid. Nearly everyone I spoke to has done the pessimism for Hardy Eliot, I tried to start planning it but couldn't think of good arguments for some reason so switched to the appeal to the readers question, which I quite liked because of the critical quote in the question, but I can never tell how Hardy-Eliot essays go, because before I thought I did really well and ended up getting a C. Onto Drama now
Reply 6
Original post by pjf1215
Sort of similar, I do Chaucer for Part A, and yeah the extract was whack, and the whole text essay was very mid. Nearly everyone I spoke to has done the pessimism for Hardy Eliot, I tried to start planning it but couldn't think of good arguments for some reason so switched to the appeal to the readers question, which I quite liked because of the critical quote in the question, but I can never tell how Hardy-Eliot essays go, because before I thought I did really well and ended up getting a C. Onto Drama now

honestly relatable… english is so scary you have no idea how it’s gone. i’m dreading king lear bc i still don’t know how to do a good 45 marker
Reply 7
Original post by b_b101
honestly relatable… english is so scary you have no idea how it’s gone. i’m dreading king lear bc i still don’t know how to do a good 45 marker

Neither tbh, I did a couple in class but my teacher didn't mark it because of my handwriting. I'll probably just end up having a really basic structure of intro, point 1 centred around 1, perhaps 2 scenes or important moments, and then point 2 doing the same thing. Sprinkle some AO3 and AO5 in there and hope it does the job
Original post by pjf1215

Have you tried using Tilf? They give you feedback based on Eduqas scheme so you can see if 2 points is enough
Reply 9
Original post by sarahchrysan
Have you tried using Tilf? They give you feedback based on Eduqas scheme so you can see if 2 points is enough

wait is this a website? my teachers are good at marking i just don’t think they’ll have time write as many essays i want to in the next few days
Reply 10
Original post by b_b101
wait is this a website? my teachers are good at marking i just don’t think they’ll have time write as many essays i want to in the next few days

time to mark as many essays i want to write **
Reply 11
Original post by pjf1215
Neither tbh, I did a couple in class but my teacher didn't mark it because of my handwriting. I'll probably just end up having a really basic structure of intro, point 1 centred around 1, perhaps 2 scenes or important moments, and then point 2 doing the same thing. Sprinkle some AO3 and AO5 in there and hope it does the job

i’d say defo do three points if u can at least that’s what i’ve been taught and i’m sorry your teacher is literally NOT doing their job ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending