The Student Room Group

sleepover with boyfriend

I'm 17 years old, and turning 18 in a month and a half. I've been going out with my boyfriend who is a few months older than me for 5 months. My parents are relatively strict but especially my dad about really specific things. I haven't been allowed to stay over at his house overnight yet, which was fine for a while but I'm starting to get annoyed by it. My dad isn't okay with him staying over at mine, which I understand as it's his house but that isn't in the question. What gets me is the double standards - I can stay over at my boyfriends until 1 or 2 am and come home to my whole family being asleep, making my boyfriend drive me back very late and I'm also allowed to go away on holiday with him for a few days before I turn 18. All these things really make it a bit ridiculous that I can't stay over at his. I know it's an issue with seeing me grow up, as an eldest daughter, and that they've got more chill, but this is really getting a bit ridiculous and having the opposite effect of pushing me away more. My boyfriend is also getting a bit frustrated as someone without strict parents really can't understand it. I'm going to talk to my dad tonight (my mum is less of an issue) - any advice?
I'm 17 years old, and turning 18 in a month and a half. I've been going out with my boyfriend who is a few months older than me for 5 months. My parents are relatively strict but especially my dad about really specific things. I haven't been allowed to stay over at his house overnight yet, which was fine for a while but I'm starting to get annoyed by it. My dad isn't okay with him staying over at mine, which I understand as it's his house but that isn't in the question. What gets me is the double standards - I can stay over at my boyfriends until 1 or 2 am and come home to my whole family being asleep, making my boyfriend drive me back very late and I'm also allowed to go away on holiday with him for a few days before I turn 18. All these things really make it a bit ridiculous that I can't stay over at his. I know it's an issue with seeing me grow up, as an eldest daughter, and that they've got more chill, but this is really getting a bit ridiculous and having the opposite effect of pushing me away more. My boyfriend is also getting a bit frustrated as someone without strict parents really can't understand it. I'm going to talk to my dad tonight (my mum is less of an issue) - any advice?

I would go easy on your dad, sya you want to sit down and talk to him, explain your position and thoughts clearly and see what he says. He likely is finding it hard to let you go have spent 18 years raising you. Its natural and Fathers are often worse in that respect with daughters than sons.
Reply 2
Original post by bewilderedonline
I would go easy on your dad, sya you want to sit down and talk to him, explain your position and thoughts clearly and see what he says. He likely is finding it hard to let you go have spent 18 years raising you. Its natural and Fathers are often worse in that respect with daughters than sons.

i do really get it - but what they're doing is pushing me away more. i'm also moving away in about 5 months, so they do need to come to terms with me growing up
i do really get it - but what they're doing is pushing me away more. i'm also moving away in about 5 months, so they do need to come to terms with me growing up

They will come to terms. Maybe it is the natural process of breaking the parent child bond to go through this stress time. You know like maybe animal parents abandon their young once they are only enough and go off and raise another brood. The young then are left to find their own lives. It is like that in the "human animal" World as well, just realise it is a subconcious natural process ,and being subconcious is only realisable when you stop and look in at it.

Quick Reply