The Student Room Group

Picking Uni for BA Graphic Design (Camberwell UAL/Loughborough University)

Hey guys!

Please help me pick uni:smile:. I have been given conditional offers from Loughborough University and Camberwell College UAL, both courses BA Graphic Design. UAL has good reputation and it is considered to be the second best art uni in the world, but I have heard mixed opinions about it - that only some courses are on that prestigious level and some courses are pretty average. Also, the condition they gave me is to pass their 6-week online summer course (BA preparation), as my portfolio lacked the showcase of the process (I really tried to put it there but sometimes I make my art pieces right away I get the idea, so I do not have many sketches etc..:frown:), which would cost additional 5 000£. When it comes to Loughborough, it has excellent ranking as well, it is supposed to be the 32. best art school in the world. Some even say that the Graphic design course is even better than in UAL. Also, when I was watching their online tours on Youtube, the school looks amazing. I also loved the admission process, it was probably the best among all the schools I have applied to.

Both schools are pretty amazing and they both have a lot to offer. Some people say to go to UAL as the University is more known and it would look good on my CV, but maybe I will learn more in Loughborough and CV is not the only thing that matters in the future. What do you think about these unis/courses? Maybe some of you even have personal experience? I know I may sound in this post like ranking is the only thing that matters to me, but it is really not like that and that’s why I cannot decide.

Thank you for all the responses:smile:.
I spoke to a student teacher that took graphic design at UAL a couple of months back and from what shes told me she was alrught but not extremely keen on it, i forgot which school she did it at but she said it wasnt so bad but her friend that took it at another college of UAL really disliked it. The issue with UAL being such a renowned univesity for arts is that as much as it gives you good prospects and its got good facilities the majority of the professors are there for their own benefit just like the majority of russel group unis, apparently it was just a LOT of independent work and really not enough student support from teachers. That was only one opinion ive heard though, id really recommend trying to get in touch with students from those unis, i think ucas has an option for that!
Original post by smolkopetra
Hey guys!
Please help me pick uni:smile:. I have been given conditional offers from Loughborough University and Camberwell College UAL, both courses BA Graphic Design. UAL has good reputation and it is considered to be the second best art uni in the world, but I have heard mixed opinions about it - that only some courses are on that prestigious level and some courses are pretty average. Also, the condition they gave me is to pass their 6-week online summer course (BA preparation), as my portfolio lacked the showcase of the process (I really tried to put it there but sometimes I make my art pieces right away I get the idea, so I do not have many sketches etc..:frown:), which would cost additional 5 000£. When it comes to Loughborough, it has excellent ranking as well, it is supposed to be the 32. best art school in the world. Some even say that the Graphic design course is even better than in UAL. Also, when I was watching their online tours on Youtube, the school looks amazing. I also loved the admission process, it was probably the best among all the schools I have applied to.
Both schools are pretty amazing and they both have a lot to offer. Some people say to go to UAL as the University is more known and it would look good on my CV, but maybe I will learn more in Loughborough and CV is not the only thing that matters in the future. What do you think about these unis/courses? Maybe some of you even have personal experience? I know I may sound in this post like ranking is the only thing that matters to me, but it is really not like that and that’s why I cannot decide.
Thank you for all the responses:smile:.

Hey, I've been to both unis for an open day but also for an offer holder day. What I'll say is that UAL's graphic design course(s) are definitely not the best ones in UK. I've been to UAL for graphic branding and identity course and although it seemed alright it wasn't ambitious enough for me. I assume the same for Camberwell as I also got an offer from there. But I heard that they're more experimental and relaxed and if this is what you want then definitely consider it. However Loughborough has way more advantages in my opinion. With Loughborough you'll be learning more about softwares and other techniques whereas with UAL it's up to how much you can learn by yourself. Also, Loughborough's students have worked with a lot of great brands such as Puma etc. while I haven't heard much about UAL from this perspective. Loughborough is more competitive and helps you to get into the industry while UAL allows you to be more experimental and overall be chill. Hope this helps 🙂
Original post by Beri!
Hey, I've been to both unis for an open day but also for an offer holder day. What I'll say is that UAL's graphic design course(s) are definitely not the best ones in UK. I've been to UAL for graphic branding and identity course and although it seemed alright it wasn't ambitious enough for me. I assume the same for Camberwell as I also got an offer from there. But I heard that they're more experimental and relaxed and if this is what you want then definitely consider it. However Loughborough has way more advantages in my opinion. With Loughborough you'll be learning more about softwares and other techniques whereas with UAL it's up to how much you can learn by yourself. Also, Loughborough's students have worked with a lot of great brands such as Puma etc. while I haven't heard much about UAL from this perspective. Loughborough is more competitive and helps you to get into the industry while UAL allows you to be more experimental and overall be chill. Hope this helps 🙂

Also! Yes UAl does have a reputation which can help you, however whats really important is your portfolio. Portfolio is the key to your employment and even if UAL is mentioned in your CV, the name itself won't be much of a help if the portfolio is not strong enough. Also, Loughborough is a top 10 uni in UK 🙂. Once again it's up to what you want to gain from the course so UAL might be a better choice than Loughborough or the other way!

Quick Reply

Latest