The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Why KCL is so overrated?

I got an offer from LSE, UCL, KCL, Bristol, and Bath for pol and IR and European politics. But tbh I want to go to King’s cos I believe it's more about the vibes yk and I prefer the course there.

However, many people criticize KCL and claim that LSE and UCL are superior to KCL, and that KCL is not as prestigious. That +400 students and alumni from KCL work at Goldman Sachs,(thx linkedin) which is good, and KCL
depending on the ranking and the source has a good ranking but I see a lot of negative comments about KCL and I don’t know If I have to firm it or not. Reputation is really important to me but I want to enjoy my studies and go to the uni that I love so Idk want to do and I don’t understand this hate toward KCL someone can explain?

Thx
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I got an offer from LSE, UCL, KCL, Bristol, and Bath for pol and IR and European politics. But tbh I want to go to King’s cos I believe it's more about the vibes yk and I prefer the course there.
However, many people criticize KCL and claim that LSE and UCL are superior to KCL, and that KCL is not as prestigious. That +400 students and alumni from KCL work at Goldman Sachs,(thx linkedin) which is good, and KCL
depending on the ranking and the source has a good ranking but I see a lot of negative comments about KCL and I don’t know If I have to firm it or not. Reputation is really important to me but I want to enjoy my studies and go to the uni that I love so Idk want to do and I don’t understand this hate toward KCL someone can explain?
Thx

UNDERRATED* I mean my bad
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Not sure why in general, but I know LSE sends a lot of people into high ranking political positions like the UK Govt and United Nations, so it's sort of known in that sense.
Ive seen info about Kings being in the top 10 unis for lowest student satisfaction rate in UK so you might wanna take that into account . But that being said if you like the course and the vibe it brings in , go for it . LSE and UCL are only ever so slightly superior in my opinion but that doesn’t take Kings prestigious name away . PLUS those critising Kings are probably mostly LSE students ( Oxbridge rejects )
Reply 4
Original post by Djoptic01
Ive seen info about Kings being in the top 10 unis for lowest student satisfaction rate in UK so you might wanna take that into account . But that being said if you like the course and the vibe it brings in , go for it . LSE and UCL are only ever so slightly superior in my opinion but that doesn’t take Kings prestigious name away . PLUS those critising Kings are probably mostly LSE students ( Oxbridge rejects )

KCL is low down the table for student satisfaction but so are a lot of other well known universities, like Cardiff, Birmingham, Nottingham, Bristol, Liverpool. Below KCL for it, there's Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Leeds. Oxford and Cambridge refuse to even publish figures for it. The more prestigious the university, sometimes the harder the degree and therefore sometimes a contributing cause of student dissatisfaction for the average student there.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
KCL is really good for graduate prospects. It's currently ranked above UCL for general graduate prospects and above UCL and LSE for percentage of students going on to do something related to their degree.

Even though it's a high 8th for research quality, UCL and LSE are above it for that.

But LSE (and Warwick and Glasgow) get overrated - none of those 3 have a particularly high percentage of staff conducting high quality research.

Finally, some people don't like the idea of studying at any London university. The relatively low percentage of UK students at the top ones, the often highly politically correct focussed courses, the feeling that the university is not a centre of its environment, due to being in a capital city.
(edited 1 month ago)
Can I ask what the course name was specifically forKings - Pol or European Pol?
The general consensus is that it is an excellent university. What you read on student forums are opinions of 18 year olds and not facts. In some countries, people have heard of KCL but not UCL so I guess prestige is subjective. Also rankings and prestige are two different things.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Can I ask what the course name was specifically forKings - Pol or European Pol?
European politics !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending