The Student Room Group

History A-level - OCR

Is history a-level a lot? im predicted a 7/8 at gcse and chose history because i enjoy it but i tend to hear a lot of negative things about the subject and workload. any thoughts?
Original post by idk_12345677
Is history a-level a lot? im predicted a 7/8 at gcse and chose history because i enjoy it but i tend to hear a lot of negative things about the subject and workload. any thoughts?

I got a 7 in GCSE History edexcel and predicted an A for history a level. I think the work load is pretty decent compared to other A level courses and I think you will be able to pull off a solid A since you enjoy history, so do I! However it just depends on the exam board I assume they’re slightly different but I can only speak for edexcel. There are 3 papers and all have 3 20 markers which you will practice every month or so at school anyways so it might sound crazy right now but you’ll practice. I think you can do it, what are your worries?
Original post by RevisionisKey1
I got a 7 in GCSE History edexcel and predicted an A for history a level. I think the work load is pretty decent compared to other A level courses and I think you will be able to pull off a solid A since you enjoy history, so do I! However it just depends on the exam board I assume they’re slightly different but I can only speak for edexcel. There are 3 papers and all have 3 20 markers which you will practice every month or so at school anyways so it might sound crazy right now but you’ll practice. I think you can do it, what are your worries?

i’m only concerned about the work load cause i’m not a hugely motivated person tbh
i’m only concerned about the work load cause i’m not a hugely motivated person tbh

Do you know which exam board and the sort of topics you’ll cover? Because personally I love the topics that we’re covering and it makes understanding and memorising things so much easier and the rest of the exam is just practice.
Do you know which exam board and the sort of topics you’ll cover? Because personally I love the topics that we’re covering and it makes understanding and memorising things so much easier and the rest of the exam is just practice.

i chose germany and russia and we also study british history but not as much as germany and russia. i’m doing germany now for gcse so ill have a huge head start but russian history really bores me
i chose germany and russia and we also study british history but not as much as germany and russia. i’m doing germany now for gcse so ill have a huge head start but russian history really bores me

I did Germany too in gcse, loved the topics cause it was interesting! Russia I didn’t do but I’ve always wanted to. Do you find Russia more difficult to revise? And for A-levels, do you know what topics you’ll cover? And the exam board for your college?
I did Germany too in gcse, loved the topics cause it was interesting! Russia I didn’t do but I’ve always wanted to. Do you find Russia more difficult to revise? And for A-levels, do you know what topics you’ll cover? And the exam board for your college?

the exam board is ocr but i haven’t checked the spec yet
Reply 7

i'm doing OCR a level history and I find it's quite a lot, but I don't really enjoy history in general. I find it really difficult but I know others who are enjoying it and don't find it too bad

Hii! I study russia, cold war, and the british period and i do have to say the workload is alot and can be difficult, but it can be super interesting!
(edited 6 days ago)
Original post by my melody
Hii! I study russia, cold war, and the british period and i do have to say the workload is alot and can be difficult, but it can be super interesting!

thanks. i think gonna choose American history just to learn something new if my school lets me change.

Quick Reply

Latest