The Student Room Group

Midwifery Study Choices

Hi, I am currently doing my Access to HE at the moment, and I'm looking at the next steps to becoming a midwife - Some background information in case it's needed. I'm a single parent to an 8 year old, currently work full time.

Soo, my question is which route is best, going to university full time and doing the placements etc or doing the midwifery apprenticeship degree?

It's quite hard to find information regarding the apprenticeships, it seems perhaps not a lot of people do them? The university I wanted to attend doesn't offer the apprenticeships but there is one not much further in the opposite direction which does.

Is it still the same degree that you'd leave with essentially? Although you get your wage, are you still eligible for bursary's etc? Are you still classed as a full time student if you take the apprenticeship option?

Grateful for any help? Thank you in advance
Original post by PinkLemonade94
Hi, I am currently doing my Access to HE at the moment, and I'm looking at the next steps to becoming a midwife - Some background information in case it's needed. I'm a single parent to an 8 year old, currently work full time.

Soo, my question is which route is best, going to university full time and doing the placements etc or doing the midwifery apprenticeship degree?

It's quite hard to find information regarding the apprenticeships, it seems perhaps not a lot of people do them? The university I wanted to attend doesn't offer the apprenticeships but there is one not much further in the opposite direction which does.

Is it still the same degree that you'd leave with essentially? Although you get your wage, are you still eligible for bursary's etc? Are you still classed as a full time student if you take the apprenticeship option?

Grateful for any help? Thank you in advance

Where do you normally live and where you will study - England, Scotland, Wales, NI - as funding differs by country?
Original post by normaw
Where do you normally live and where you will study - England, Scotland, Wales, NI - as funding differs by country?

I live in England.

Choices are Worcester University for the degree or Birmingham/Wolverhampton University for the apprenticeships.
Original post by PinkLemonade94
I live in England.

Choices are Worcester University for the degree or Birmingham/Wolverhampton University for the apprenticeships.

The qualification will be the same whether you train via a degree course or a degree apprenticeship. With a degree, you will be eligible for tuition fee and maintenance loans funding, and the annual training grant and other support from the NHS Learning Support Fund.

With a degree apprenticeship, your employer usually pays the course fees and you will earn a wage. You won't be eligible for the NHS LSF grants.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf/exceptional-support-fund

https://www.rcm.org.uk/promoting/education-hub/apprenticeships/
Thank you!

I didn’t know that you weren’t eligible for the NHS grants if you did the apprenticeship!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending