The Student Room Group

Retake gcses in year 13?

I got 887776654 in my GCSEs due to medication causing severe depression, I was wondering if I may Aswell retake a few GCSEs like comp sci (6) as I do it for A level and pretty sure I’d get a 9, aswell as business (4) I’m sure I’ll get at least a 7 and language (6) I’ll get at least a 7 in aswell, or would unis overlook the retake
I am a year 13 studentgoing on a gap year trynna get into LSE - Maths&Econ, UCL - MathswEcon, Imperial EFDS etc
Reply 1
There is usually no point in retaking random GCSEs.

It only makes sense if you don't meet a specific entry requirement for that Uni such 'GCSE Maths grade 6' or whatever.
Unis will look only at these specific requirements, or assess your 'overall profile' - typically your top 5 GCSEs or whatever - and even then, it usually of very little importance compared to your A level predicted grades, Personal Statement etc.

If you have a specific reason why you might have not done as well as expected at GCSE, many Unis will consider this as part of their 'mitigating circumstances' process - this would require you to complete a specific form for each Uni at the same time as you submit your UCAS application or some Unis will accept a formal letter from your school. Here is the information for Bristol - other Unis will have their details on their websites - Extenuating circumstances | Study at Bristol | University of Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
There is usually no point in retaking random GCSEs.
It only makes sense if you don't meet a specific entry requirement for that Uni such 'GCSE Maths grade 6' or whatever.
Unis will look only at these specific requirements, or assess your 'overall profile' - typically your top 5 GCSEs or whatever - and even then, it usually of very little importance compared to your A level predicted grades, Personal Statement etc.
If you have a specific reason why you might have not done as well as expected at GCSE, many Unis will consider this as part of their 'mitigating circumstances' process - this would require you to complete a specific form for each Uni at the same time as you submit your UCAS application or some Unis will accept a formal letter from your school. Here is the information for Bristol - other Unis will have their details on their websites - Extenuating circumstances | Study at Bristol | University of Bristol

If you do relatively poorly GCSE wise i.e. majority 6/5s, will universities like UCL/LSE/Warwick not just reject you on this basis for any even fairly competitive courses? Or how much better will you typically need to perform at A-Level to make up for it, i.e. taking A-Levels in Maths and FM to show your Maths might've improved from GCSE, or other highly respected STEM subjects
Reply 3
Original post by dcb3
If you do relatively poorly GCSE wise i.e. majority 6/5s, will universities like UCL/LSE/Warwick not just reject you on this basis for any even fairly competitive courses? Or how much better will you typically need to perform at A-Level to make up for it, i.e. taking A-Levels in Maths and FM to show your Maths might've improved from GCSE, or other highly respected STEM subjects

As I was rejected this year for my low GCSEs from such unis, was considering retaking them versus adding Maths, maybe even FM to A-Levels in a gap year. Bare in mind I had to retake Eng Lang (achieved 9) as was initially a 5, falling below requirements. Really feel it might be tough to be competitive without retaking any others.
Reply 4
If retaking GCSESs means you then can't focus on your A levels, and mess them up - what is the point
And that is even if your school would let you do this, and most wouldn't for this reason.

Stop obsessing about UCL, LSE etc. Its not the gold standard for a happy life.
There are plenty of good, sensible Unis that will accept you, where you will have a great time, and leave for a good degree.
And you will go on to have a totally sensible career.
Going to a top university doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get better employment. My brother went to Aberystwyth after not getting grades for University Of Leeds. He studied maths, and is now doing a masters degree at UoL for AI, and is currently working in a job in this area on 50k a year, which will significantly go up once he’s able to get into the AI sectors.

All degrees are accredited by the same people, meaning you are getting the same standard of learning. Only subjects this matters more for is the highly competitive subjects such as Law, where there are limited jobs for the degree.

Your degree will allow you to go into a broad range of sectors. Just because some universities may not want you doesn’t mean others will turn you away too. Apply to some safer options as well, as there are many good universities within the top 25 In the UK that will gain you with a highly rewarding degree at the end of the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending