The Student Room Group

A-Level Physics

Hey guys I decided to pick Physics, Maths and Art for my a-level, originally I chose these subjects to be an architect, but im not so sure now because I have seen videos of people saying its long hours, not fun and have low salary. This reduced my motives for Architecture, however this is asides the point. I was wondering whether it is still possible to enter a medical field with Physics A level?
Reply 1
I’m probably not the most reliable source, but I get the impression that most medical fields require biology and chemistry. You might be able to do something with nuclear uses in medicine though maybe. There may be one or two things available.
Original post by carnaldrax
Hey guys I decided to pick Physics, Maths and Art for my a-level, originally I chose these subjects to be an architect, but im not so sure now because I have seen videos of people saying its long hours, not fun and have low salary. This reduced my motives for Architecture, however this is asides the point. I was wondering whether it is still possible to enter a medical field with Physics A level?

You need to do biology and chemistry to do medicine. Almost all unis won't allow you onto a medicine course with your a-levels.
Reply 3
Original post by carnaldrax

Yes it is possible to enter the medical field with A-level Physics, but you will need to take A-level Chemistry as well. Most universities want Chemistry, another science subject (so Biology, Maths or Physics) and a subject of your choice, if you want to enter the medical field. I would recommend you take Chemistry, Biology and a subject that you enjoy, as you will end up needing to learn those two subjects further on. However, If you were to take Physics A-level I would recommend you take Maths with it.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 <- see this thread for details about A-level subject requirements for medicine.

Without biology or chemistry you would only be able to apply to one medical school (Newcastle). I'd suggest seeing if you can take either or both during a gap year through your current school ideally if possible (as it might be quite expensive otherwise) if medicine is your goal.

Note that medicine also has long hours, is not generally a field people go into for the "fun", and given the repeated junior doctor strikes is evidently not that well paid in relative terms, mainly in the early years.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 <- see this thread for details about A-level subject requirements for medicine.
Without biology or chemistry you would only be able to apply to one medical school (Newcastle). I'd suggest seeing if you can take either or both during a gap year through your current school ideally if possible (as it might be quite expensive otherwise) if medicine is your goal.
Note that medicine also has long hours, is not generally a field people go into for the "fun", and given the repeated junior doctor strikes is evidently not that well paid in relative terms, mainly in the early years.

Yes, I agree with that too. Medicine is a very tough course and you have to have an interest in it, I would not recommend you take medicine if you were looking for short hours and a high salary.

Quick Reply

Latest