The Student Room Group

A level physics Magnetic fields (4)

For this question I got it correct but only by elimination of A and B and guessed between C and D. So my question is why is the force to the right ? How would I be able to work it out? I annotated my working out on the page so please let me know if I got anything wrong regarding that aswell.

Thank you in advance!D0C0CECE-F42C-4C15-9A6E-5B857F22AB50.jpeg
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by 1234kelly
For this question I got it correct but only by elimination of A and B and guessed between C and D. So my question is why is the force to the right ? How would I be able to work it out? I annotated my working out on the page so please let me know if I got anything wrong regarding that aswell.

Thank you in advance!D0C0CECE-F42C-4C15-9A6E-5B857F22AB50.jpeg

Well annotated! Good works.
You have most of the things correct except the following:
The force is short lived because the current reaches its steady state in a short interval of time, so the change of magnetic flux also lasts for a short interval which “causes” the induced current to be short lived and hence the force.

As for why the force is to the right, a simple explanation is “like currents attract and unlike currents repel.

A short video explains this.

A more detailed explanation is found in the following video but it only shows the forces between 2 like currents. A similar explanation can be applied to your problem.

Quick Reply

Latest