The Student Room Group

What instrument should I learn next?

I have been studying music for 12 years now, and spent the last 11 years learning piano. I recently passed my grade 8 piano exam, and, although I'd like to do piano diplomas, I would love to get to grade 8 on a second instrument. My piano teacher is letting me borrow her flute, which I have taken to quite quickly and enjoy playing.

The only problem is that there are very few flautists in an orchestra, and it is a very popular instrument. Having already learnt possibly the most popular instrument there is, I want to learn something that a) less people play, and b) there is a decent chance of me getting a place in an amateur orchestra with.

I've started to consider learning the double bass, but I don't know whether to learn flute at the same time, or do flute for a year and then start bass as well. Also my hands are quite small- I can only reach a ninth on the piano, and I struggle if this is on the black keys as I have to put my fingers right on the edge to be able to stretch far enough. I often have to spread chords and change fingerings in piano pieces. My only possible is advantage is that I am pretty tall for a girl- 5"9

Does anyone have any advice? It would be much appreciated.

(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
If you enjoy the flute you could go for one of the 'endangered' wind instruments i.e. bassoon or oboe. I personally prefer the bassoon, because it is one of three instruments that can blend with pretty much anything (horn, which is my instrument, and cello being the others). There also aren't many bassoons in an orchestra but ANY amateur orchestra will be more than happy to take any bassoonist (and oboist) they can find because it is so rare for people to take it up these days 🙂 I would say this is the case for horn, percussion, bass and viola, so any of these would be good options as well.

It's also ok to spend some time (whether that be hours or months) playing around with different instruments to work out which ones you really vibe with - I've played many instruments over the years but the horn was the one that I completely fell in love with and has stuck for nearly ten years now
Original post by 176253
I have been studying music for 12 years now, and spent the last 11 years learning piano. I recently passed my grade 8 piano exam, and, although I'd like to do piano diplomas, I would love to get to grade 8 on a second instrument. My piano teacher is letting me borrow her flute, which I have taken to quite quickly and enjoy playing.
The only problem is that there are very few flautists in an orchestra, and it is a very popular instrument. Having already learnt possibly the most popular instrument there is, I want to learn something that a) less people play, and b) there is a decent chance of me getting a place in an amateur orchestra with.
I've started to consider learning the double bass, but I don't know whether to learn flute at the same time, or do flute for a year and then start bass as well. Also my hands are quite small- I can only reach a ninth on the piano, and I struggle if this is on the black keys as I have to put my fingers right on the edge to be able to stretch far enough. I often have to spread chords and change fingerings in piano pieces. My only possible is advantage is that I am pretty tall for a girl- 5"9

The flute is such a beautiful sounding instrument and very portable. You can join orchestras and windbands too. I'd stick with the flute - my son doesn't have a problem with getting into an orchestra.
Reply 3
Original post by 176253

When I was grade 8 piano, I started playing clarinet. I really, really enjoy clarinet and I would recommend it to you.
Ohh mabye violin ive always liked the sound of it do let us know how u get on!

Quick Reply

Latest