The Student Room Group

Higher Arabic Edexcel GCSE- Speaking test

How does the test work for the speaking portion, i understand the photocard and roleplay bit but i dont get the general conversation part,, does my presentation have to be long, mine is 600 words, an will they ask me questions abt my topic and one other topic or just another topic, will they ask me to elaborate, etc..
explain how it works pls coz im doing this from home in a diff skl so no one told me how it works
Reply 1
Im doing arabic too. im also doing it from home too but i know what happens. the teacher will ask you questions on your chosen theme e.g. if you chose theme 2: local area, holioday and travel (which is what im doing), the teacher might ask Where did you go on holiday last year? and you will say your prepared answer. I think they should ask about 3-4+ questions and you should talk ALOT, especially for prepared questions cos it'll be the easiest to speak for longer. Dont make your answers too short or you could lose some marks, but also dont make it too long. They might stay on one topic such as only holidays or they could talk about local area and travel too, it depends.
Then there's the second part of the conversation which is the unprepared theme. Lets say you get theme 3: School. They'll ask you some questions on school e.g. What is your opinion of your school?
You need to use present, past and future tense to get into the top levels and talk for long enough. The teacher must ask questions with different tenses. Also try use some memorised complex sentences, sm like انتهزت الفرصة ل, meaning i seized the opportunity to...! This will show off your vocabulary but u dont need too many.
You can also use repair stragies. e.g. if your stuck, ask them to repeat the question (but u must say it in arabic (obviously)). If you need time to think you can say sm like, thats a rlly good question, let me think...! Repair strategies wont lose u any marks so use them if u need to. Also make sure u dont speak english at any time it will mark u down. But if u do, u can just say آسف هذه الإنجليزية and u wont get marked down.

Hope this helps!!!
Reply 2
thx so much for the reply it does help,
but for my chosen theme are they goin to ask me questions which i have for them or do i kinda have to guess the question based on the theme ive chosen?
Reply 3
youll have to guess the questions, and i think u mught have to ask them a question too but im not sure cos thats wjhat we have to do for Spanish. btw which theme did u pick???
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by User_09
youll have to guess the questions, and i think u mught have to ask them a question too but im not sure cos thats wjhat we have to do for Spanish. btw which theme did u pick???

theme 3 - school
Reply 5
Original post by Sherlock660
theme 3 - school

also how long does the speech itself has to be coz the original post says 600 words but i shortened it and its around 250 but i can make it last like 2 minutes is that alr for higher? coz idm answerin their questions well i better at that
thx for your help btw
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 6
no problem. i think 2 minutes should be fine - maybe add to it a bit like add emotions or opinions just to make it longer - and read slowly but not too slow. Also, when you read, add emotion cos you lose marks if youre monotonous.
Reply 7
Original post by User_09
no problem. i think 2 minutes should be fine - maybe add to it a bit like add emotions or opinions just to make it longer - and read slowly but not too slow. Also, when you read, add emotion cos you lose marks if youre monotonous.

oh yh dw thats the bit im not worried abt i can present the emotion pretty well, it was just the length makin me nervous
anyways thats all my questions answered thank you so much for your help :smile:))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending