The Student Room Group

An international student need some help

So I don't know where I can ask this question but I'm currently in uni, but not in the UK, but in America. I am an international student and I'm not a native speaker of English. I have been practising British accent for a while and my new teaching assistant is from Oxford, England. Though he did not speak posh at all. I am wondering is it ok to talk to him and ask him some feedback on my accent? Literally he is the first British guy I have met at the school and i am aiming for rp, so I figure I need some help. But is it considered rude and unprofessional in the UK to just directly ask people about your accent? Do you guys think I should ask I'm or not?

And also, do rp speakers tend to have deeper resonance, lower pitch and speak from throat?
Original post by shsoq
So I don't know where I can ask this question but I'm currently in uni, but not in the UK, but in America. I am an international student and I'm not a native speaker of English. I have been practising British accent for a while and my new teaching assistant is from Oxford, England. Though he did not speak posh at all. I am wondering is it ok to talk to him and ask him some feedback on my accent? Literally he is the first British guy I have met at the school and i am aiming for rp, so I figure I need some help. But is it considered rude and unprofessional in the UK to just directly ask people about your accent? Do you guys think I should ask I'm or not?
And also, do rp speakers tend to have deeper resonance, lower pitch and speak from throat?

Hi,

No I dont think its considered rude at all and he'll probably be happy to help. Also, his accent is most likely on the nicer side of the british accent, sure it might not be all that top class jazz that the royals speak, but because hes a southerner its definatly on the better side of the british accent. So yeah he's posher than most of us notherners😭.

I think you should defo ask him and dont be shy about it too because Im sure hed be happy to help. Im not sure about your second question tho about deeper resonance, lower pitch and speak from throat because Ive never really payed attention lol.

I hope this helps you :smile:
Reply 2
Bro he is from lincolnshire lol
Original post by shsoq
Bro he is from lincolnshire lol

still souther than most. I think hes from what they would call it "the middle lands" but that doesnt exist, its just north and south im afraid. But his accent is alright dw, and he'll help you.

Quick Reply